Talk

Advanced search

Should I wait for a last minute deal?

(10 Posts)
starryhatts Thu 19-May-16 19:21:49

We have spent our holiday £££ on skiing later in the year, but work has been awful and we really want to go away for a beach holiday for cheap fishbowl cocktails and to read trashy books in the sunshine. Not bothered about where.

As a result, budget is not huge. If we could get somewhere self catering for £300 pp inc. flights, that would be a dream, but realise thats a tall order in the school holidays. Unfortunately I am a teacher so no flexibility in this.

Have usually booked far in advance but have been told by a few people that in our circs we may as well wait for a 'last minute deal'.

When should we do this? How do you book one? Any site recommendations? I went in and asked Thomas Cook but they told me to book now as it gets more expensive last minute. confused

FoolMe Thu 19-May-16 19:23:33

No advice but watching with interest! I want to go away for 3 nights with a friend somewhere hot and we're looking at £500+

sidsgranny Thu 19-May-16 19:24:02

I wouldn't touch Thomas Cook with a barge poll!

I'm looking at booking something for August and Monarch is coming up with some really good prices compared to say Thomson. Same hotel at the same time is a good few hundred pounds cheaper.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 20-May-16 09:29:52

They were talking about holidays on BBC breakfast this morning and mentioned Portugal (possibly Abulfera not Algarve? - Sorry I don't know Portugal at all but they were saying don't go to the main resorts, but somewhere less popular, Fuengirola in Spain was also mentioned as being a bit cheaper - I've been there and it's nice enough, you tend to get Spanish holidaymakers as well as Brits but it's not as Blackpool in the sun-like as Torremolinos and Benalmadena.

Maybe an apartment and separate flights would be cheaper than a package but don't know really. If you can manage on hand luggage only, that saves a fair bit.

MrsBlackthorn Fri 20-May-16 15:53:47

In a word: no.

My mum's a travel agent - she's advising everyone to book as early as possible this year, as everything is selling out and there are almost no bargains to be had.

Many popular destinations - Tunisia, Egypt, etc - are out of action, which means everywhere else (Spain, Greece) is in more demand and prices are going through the roof. Where places would have availability and be cheap outside of school holidays, they're now full - or if they're available they're far more expensive.

TheABC Fri 20-May-16 15:57:25

It may be worth looking on teletext or icelolly, but since it's the school holidays;I would not hold my breath.

mummymeister Sat 21-May-16 10:46:06

sorry I agree with MrsBlackthorn. its a bit of a perfect storm this year in terms of holiday prices. Gove changes meaning everyone only wants the 13 weeks school hols (which pushes up the prices for those who have no choice but to go then), the issue of safety in certain countries and now Zika spread. if you hold out for something at £300 each then you wont get away at all . What about October half term?

bakingaddict Sat 21-May-16 11:03:51

I'd look at flights on sky scanner and then booking your hotel separately. Norwegian air have got a seat sale on with good prices to places like Croatia.

mary21 Sat 21-May-16 13:50:48

Get cheapish flights to Barcelona then take train down the coat to somewhere like. calafel. Should be able to find an apartment there not to far from sandy beach for 5_600 week

mary21 Sat 21-May-16 13:54:56

Eat here www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g659969-d1482904-Reviews-Ca_l_Emma-Calafell_Costa_Dorada_Province_of_Tarragona_Catalonia.html at least it was good when we went there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now