Bergamo - car hire return, early flight - help!

(5 Posts)
namechangedtoday15 Wed 18-May-16 10:14:04

We are going to Italy in August, flying into Bergamo, plan is to hire car and return. Flight home is on a Sunday, 07.35. Car hire is proving difficult as offices don't open until 8am apparently on a Sunday.

Thinking therefore of returning car the day before and having a night in a hotel, although we'd probably need to leave at say 5.30am to be at the airport for 6ish. Hardly seems worth it (as we are a family of 5 & hotels are therefore expensive). Obviously we can't sit in the airport overnight!!

Can anyone tell me whether spending a night in Bergamo is worthwhile? Any recommendations for accommodation close to the airport? Any other suggestions confused??

mangocoveredlamb Wed 18-May-16 15:49:04

Do the car hire company not have a facility to return the keys early (eg drop box/through a letter box?) I have done this before!

LyndaNotLinda Wed 18-May-16 15:52:40

I've always just done a key drop when taking a car back at an unsociable hour

Pootles2010 Wed 18-May-16 15:55:12

Bergamo is amazing! I can't remember where we stayed (sorry) but i much preferred it to Milan. We had about a day and a half there - gorgeous place, really quiet and unspoilt. You get the furnicular railway thingie from the old town up the top of the hill, gorgeous views. I'd consider staying Fri and Sat nights. Not done it with kids mind.

namechangedtoday15 Wed 18-May-16 17:20:59

Thank you everyone. They didn't seem to offer that (drop box) - what happens then if they want to say you've made a dint / damaged it somehow and you're not there to argue with them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now