Passport Photo

(14 Posts)
PassportPhotoHell Thu 05-May-16 12:15:13

Hi,

Just looking for some advice. Me and my husband have never had passports before, so this is all new and confusing to us!

We are looking to get our passports, and need to get our photos done. We also need photos for our two daughters (5 years old and 2 years old). We have been quoted £9 for each of us...that's basically £40 for us all, just for the photos, on top of the £200+ for the application fee.

This seems crazy, and I was wondering if there were any other options? Has anyone used one of the websites to print their own? If so can you recommend one?

We live in East Anglia if this helps anyone know of somewhere cheaper?

Thanks

Chasingsquirrels Thu 05-May-16 12:17:21

Photo booths are usually around £5 or £6 each.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 05-May-16 13:08:22

Do not use a website to print your own photos; they are highly likely to be rejected. Such photos also have to be printed on plain white photographic paper.

Is there a Snappy snaps or some other photography type store near you. I would suggest you use somewhere like that to get your passport photos done; photo booths for young children can be unreliable.

ClubTropicanaDrinks Thu 05-May-16 13:16:04

Getting a passport is an expensive business these days!

All I would say is that they are VERY strict about the photos these days so it's worth getting them done somewhere like Snappy Snaps to make sure they're right first time.

MiddleClassProblem Thu 05-May-16 13:20:33

At least passports last 5/10 years.

I'd go snappy snaps or Jessops to get it done and make sure they are done right. If you do it yourself they might be rejected and then you have to go again. If a shop did them and they got rejected then you can get them done again for free but they tend to know exactly what's needed so it doesn't happen often

HeadDreamer Fri 06-May-16 05:21:02

I did DC1 with a white sheet and passpic.com last year. The same for DH and DC1 within the last few year. Never rejected.

IndigoApple Fri 06-May-16 05:34:02

Also recommend Passpic. DD took mine on her iPhone and I uploaded it, cost £5 and had photos 48h later. They will redo for free if photos not accepted but mine were.

icklekid Fri 06-May-16 05:35:09

I would pay the £9 for your 2 children but just use photo booth for 2 adults which will be nearly half the price. Make sure you read all the regulations regarding photos before you start!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Fri 06-May-16 06:08:30

I agree, less stressful to get the dc done in a shop, although shop around as £9 is towards the steep end, only by a few pounds though. The 5yr old won't be allowed to smile so get them practising their best serious face.

TheOddity Fri 06-May-16 06:19:16

Read the rules even if you go to a studio, and take the rules with you! Children's rules on smiling aren't exactly the same but you have to be very careful no hands are in shot (yours or theirs) and the dimensions are extremely precise so make sure you are happy with them before you walk out of the shop. Any deviation from the rules is likely to be rejected so if you are not confident it's right, ask for a retake. After all digital prints cost nothing and the print out they do doesn't cost that much either.

rookiemere Fri 06-May-16 19:28:30

Always used a photo booth for DS. Just read the rules before hand.

dementedpixie Fri 06-May-16 19:31:02

Also used Paspic.com for dd and ds before and they send back compliant photos within a couple of days

dementedpixie Fri 06-May-16 19:32:55

www.paspic.com/ - £5 for each of you

Fluffyears Sat 07-May-16 22:58:09

Got mine done at Timpson and after printing and making sure I was happy the man then measured spaces and put a template over it to make sure it was compliant. It was accepted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now