Talk

Advanced search

holiday recommendations that don't cost an arm and a leg

(7 Posts)
needaholiday1 Tue 03-May-16 22:39:48

Would really appreciate some advice from MN for a nice short UK holiday destination that is reachable by train from Oxford/London, family friendly and costs under £500 for 3-4 days (2 adults and 1 dc). Does that place exist?!

mummymeister Wed 04-May-16 08:54:52

yes places like this exist but it depends on what time of year you want to go. if it is august then no, your budget probably wont stretch to it. i would have a look at some of the child friendly holiday websites like baby friendly boltholes and away with the kids. also think about whether you want a hotel with catering and a kids club or just somewhere with activities. the first sort could be bedruthan steps or the second a good caravan site.

revealall Wed 04-May-16 17:35:59

I think you could do the Isle of Wight within budget. Lovely beaches, interesting dinosaur stuff,bit quirky.

How old is the DC? Will they need a seperate room?
There's masses of choice in accommodation from swish to chalets.

CremeEggThief Wed 04-May-16 17:39:03

I hot a Hose a sons caravan on the Isle of Wight for the first week of August for £475, last year.

CremeEggThief Wed 04-May-16 17:40:07

*got
*Hoseasons

revealall Wed 04-May-16 21:31:01

The Mouse Inn has four nights for £350 in August. Probably not ideal for you if you haven't got a car ( buses are everywhere though on the Island) but just to illustrate you can get a decent room for the money.

annandale Wed 04-May-16 21:48:53

Mudeford Spit. Beach huts (you can sleep in the ones at Mudeford which change hands for well over £100,000 each) to rent here - if you can go outside the summer holidays there is even one with an actual price listing of £450 a week - but worth trying the others perhaps. Train to Christchurch direct from Waterloo, probably quickest though if you change along the way, from Oxford change at Basingstoke. Probably need a taxi from there to Mudeford Quay to catch the little ferry over to the Spit.

Or a youth hostel - e.g. YHA Castleton is fairly near Edale station which is about 3 hours from St Pancras or Euston, and still just about has family rooms in August, e.g. family room sleeping 3 around 22 August for four nights at around £70 a night still available. Gorgeous area (I've stayed at YHA Edale but not Castleton) and even if your child is young Mam Tor is a doable walk with nice stone path.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now