Crochet hooks on flight

(8 Posts)
Chinwag Fri 29-Apr-16 10:39:07

Can I take a wooden crochet hook on a flight to Ireland (Flyby)? We are just taking hand luggage, and the hook has quite a rounded end. But I'm wondering if they have a blanket ban on crochet hooks, whether it's sharp or not.

LitteRedSparkle Mon 09-May-16 14:57:28

i took my crochet hooks to Miami.... and New York with no problems (from LHR)

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Mon 09-May-16 17:49:56

I always have this dilemma whenever I go away and rush out and buy myself a cheap 4mm in case they confiscate my posh special grippy one but they have always been fine with it.

TBH I don't think crocheters are on their list of suspicious people!!

I have taken my crochet on the plane three times.

The first time, Glasgow airport security didn't bat an eyelid at either the hook or my little scissors.

The second time, Heathrow security were fine with the hook, but needed to see the scissors (went through my bag with the black gloves on).

The third time, London City Airport had no issues with the scissors, but had to have. Little huddle to discuss whether the crochet hook was allowable.

Each time both the hook and scissors got through, but I think it depends on who is manning security whether it will all go through on the nod or will be singled out for closer scrutiny.

theITgirl Mon 09-May-16 18:13:11

I flew into Heathrow with knitting needles last month, and out from Heathrow with a circular needles two weeks earlier.

SoupDragon Mon 09-May-16 18:16:47

I've done it. I make sure I take a hook I don't care about losing. Shove a wooden one in a pencil case and I suspect no one will notice.

LunaLoveg00d Tue 10-May-16 14:16:10

Yes you can, I have taken knitting needles too (both metal and wooden ones). They are funny about scissors though, so get a pair of thread snips.

200solemnfaces Tue 10-May-16 14:24:56

I've seen a lady have her knitting needles confiscated at security. That was a long time ago though, possibly in the year after 9/11. It will probably be fine, but take a cheap one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now