Talk

Advanced search

Travelling for 12 months- taking too much or too little.

(59 Posts)
ahunter90 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:29:06

Heres my packing list

Clothing/shoes/accs:
4x tank tops
1x denim shorts
2x leggings
4x dresses (will be travelling in one)
Plain longline cardigan (will travel in)
Patterend short cardigan
Lightweight jacket (will travel in)
1x pjs
7x knics (obviously travel in a pair)
3x bras (travelling in one)
2x bikinis
Bikini cover up
2x walking socks (travelling in a pair)
Walking shoes (travel in)
Flip flops for gross showers in hostels.
Sandals
Multicoloured print scarf- more to use as a wrap if necessary (travel in)
2x statement necklaces
1x plain necklace (travel in)
1x ears studs (travel in)
1x hoop earrings

Electronics:
iPhone
iPad Mini
Camera + lens
Chargers for above- wall, in car a battery pack and wires.
Travel hairdryer and straightners- do not tell me not to take these. They will be packed before my clothing. wink

Cosmetics/toiletries
Makeup- mascara, foundation, powder, 1x blusher, eyeliner and small 4 palette eyeshadow.
Moisturiser and cleanser
Exfoliator
Shampoo and conditioner (maybe intensive conditioner I have room)
Shower gel and shower puff.
Razor and 2x spare heads.
Toothpaste and toothbrush. Maybe mouthwash and floss if I have room.
1x perfume.
Mini nail clippers
Mini tweezers
1x pack of sanitary towels
1x pack of washlets

Misc
Microfibre towel (are these horrid?!)
Beach towel
First aid kit- plasters, savlon, parcetamol, ibuprofen, gaviscon tablets.
Mini sewing kit
Worldwide adaptor
Alarm clock
Washing line
Small travel wash
Bag protector and combination lock
Roll of freezer bags
Swiss army knife
Suncream
Insect repellant
Rubber door stop
Safety alarm
Small pack batteries
Neck pillow
Mosquito net
Copies of passport, embassy details in the countries i'm visiting and emergency numbers at home.

Too much? Too little? Anything else I "must" take. Going to NZ, Australia, Asia, Dubai, Europe, South/North America and Hawaii.

Meggymoodle Mon 25-Apr-16 20:34:14

Insurance docs.

If you're visiting somewhere "westernised" first I wouldn't bother taking loads of toiletries, you can buy there, but I would add Imodium to your list (and a toilet roll😀).

So envy! Have an amazing time!

almostthirty Mon 25-Apr-16 20:35:25

Credit card just in case of emergency.

MrsA2 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:40:23

I'd skip the perfume. Do you need the microfibre towel if you're taking a beach towel anyway? I'd probably throw in one more pair of shorts or a skirt if you have room. I'd take two plain cardigans rather than a patterned one as you'd be more limited to combinations unless all your 'bottom half' stuff is plain?

ahunter90 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:42:34

I thought that Meggy- i'm just going to take some minis with me as I don't really want to spend the first days of my holidays in a supermarket plus they are there for emergencies.

Taking the washlets instead of loo roll- easier to carry round in my day bag I figured. Might add some hand sanitiser too..

Insurance documents on the list- how I forgot about them I don't know blush

Credit card is in my travel wallet with my debit card, passport and driving licence.

ahunter90 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:44:16

I thought that Mrs- but I don't want to get stuck using a beach towel to shower and then it be wet still a couple of hours later if we go to the beach iyswim. I might take a small normal towel instead.

ahunter90 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:45:03

Will swap the small cardigan too. Thanks Mrs.

CMOTDibbler Mon 25-Apr-16 20:48:14

Don't pack a beach towel, get a hammam towel - they are very light, dry quickly and can be worn as a sarong/headscarf/shawl if needs be.

Bringiton2016 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:49:35

Microfibre towels feel weird but are essential. They basically stay dry. The one thing I could have left was the mosquito net. I only used it in one dirty hostel cos I was scared of the spiders. If mosquitoes are a problem the nets will be provided.

Bringiton2016 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:51:45

Ditch the neck pillow. You don't need an alarm clock and a phone?

Bringiton2016 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:52:22

Do you need a tablet and a phone?

Artandco Mon 25-Apr-16 20:53:21

Are you carrying this in a rucksack?

Don't take any normal towel just take large microfibre or hamman towel.notmal takes up way too much space and weight

Less cosmetics -bar soap in box instead of shower gel, ditch the exfoliator, ditch cleanser and moisturiser. Just one 2-1 shampoo/ conditioner.

As an idea. We travelled 2 months. With Dh and I having a 45l rucksack each only. Had two children under two travelling with us. We only took bar of soap, deodorant and toothpaste and brush toiletry wise. Every so often would stay somewhere that had shampoo etc, or we would buy a mini one, but otherwise just used bar soap.

That is a lot of countries and continents to do in 12 months! It may be better to cut some out, I mean Europe or Asia alone could take 12 months

PartyShit Mon 25-Apr-16 20:53:35

I'm intrigued by the rubber door stop?

Maybe add a torch to the misc list? When I travelled around Asia staying in hostels it was pitch black in the night and toilets were located outside.

Not sure how necessary a Swiss Army knife and washing line will be unless you're planning on being in the wilderness but I guess they don't take up much room.

Bringiton2016 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:54:32

What about a universal plug so you can wash undies etc in the sink?

Also the most essential item is a HEAD TORCH!

Artandco Mon 25-Apr-16 20:55:11

Yep I wouldn't take a washing line either. You can easily rinse anything in sink and just hang over stuff there ie towel rail/ chair back/ balcony. Your not going to wash all
Clothes at once, easier to just wash as you go so mainly underwear daily and one other thing

snowman1 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:56:04

I would ditch one or 2 tank tops for a t shirt and a long sleeved top. 1) mosquitoes and bugs in Asia and South America 2) Asian and South American places of worship are quite conservative so bare arms won't go down well and you'll boil in a cardi. Would ditch denim shorts too for a pair of walking trousers you can take the bottoms off, and turn into shorts. you might be glad of long trousers where you might get bitten alive, I was glad of mine in Thailand at night. It also helps to have zip up pockets in trousers/shorts, definitely makes you harder to pick pocket with a zip pocket rather than handbag. Also - you can probably lose the alarm clock if you have all the electronics? You'll also need a hat, sun cream and bug spray.

Bringiton2016 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:56:13

The door stop prevents someone getting in your room.

ahunter90 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:58:31

I do need the alarm clock- I will camping in the middle of nowhere a few times while i'm away once for a week and we all know that iPhone batteries only last five minutes. Ditching the mosquito net. Not sure about the pillow as will be travelling on Greyhound overnight several times while in the US.

Shesaysso Mon 25-Apr-16 21:00:57

I'd ditch the beach towel and the microfibre towel (they feel horrible) and would take a sarong, that you can lie on, dry yourself on beach, and a normal towel. I'd also take another pair of PJ's. I also wouldn't bother with a washing line.

Bringiton2016 Mon 25-Apr-16 21:01:54

Just use day pack for a pillow.

PartyShit Mon 25-Apr-16 21:04:36

Oh I see, clever that!

I had my iPhone sorted to work in Asia but for the most part of my travels it was useless. Couldn't even get a correct time from it so I'd say some sort of alarm clock is a good idea but would swap it for a watch with an alarm. I used a little cheap Casio watch with alarm.

Bringiton2016 Mon 25-Apr-16 21:05:40

Scan all docs to email.

If you suffer from bouts of cystitis or anything like that then take a couple of courses of antibiotics with you.

Artandco Mon 25-Apr-16 21:05:46

Make sure one dress is ankle length to use in Asian and strong Catholic areas

Bringiton2016 Mon 25-Apr-16 21:07:34

So jealous.

ahunter90 Mon 25-Apr-16 21:11:16

Rubber door stop is to stop people getting into the room. I was a bit hmm when my sister told me to take one but then a few other people have mentioned it and said it was a good idea.

Ditching the washing line, towels and pillow. Will take a small normal towel and sarong for the beach and beach towel for DP.

Adding long sleeved top, hat and will look into getting zip off trousers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now