Talk

Advanced search

Cheap travel insurance when one of you has a (mild) pre-existing condition?

(12 Posts)
TrainBridge Mon 25-Apr-16 16:41:26

I'm wondering how to get travel insurance, and not pay the earth. I have mild, well controlled asthma. I can't declare no pre-existing conditions but equally, it's totally under control and I see no need to pay massive amounts extra. Has anyone found a good comparison website that allows you to put in a pre-existing condition, or can anyone recommend a company to get it from?

AppleMagic Mon 25-Apr-16 16:43:59

We've used insureandgo before. I think they have a little survey on asthma and if you haven't been hospitalised recently with it etc it doesn't really increase the premiums.

TrainBridge Mon 25-Apr-16 17:01:48

Thanks, I'll have a look at insureandgo.

Toffeelatteplease Wed 27-Apr-16 19:47:47

Tescos insurance used to be awesome. One of the compare sites does a compare for preexisting conditions. Do not buy it through the compare site though, call the company direct as sometimes the cover quoted excludes the condition.

BikeGeek Wed 27-Apr-16 21:48:38

I've not found a site yet that lets you easily compare pre-existing conditions. Even our renewal quote didn't cover the pre-existing conditions we declared last year.

This year we ended up buying annual insurance with m&s and my OH declaring his epilepsy resulted in a 7 pounds increase

mrsmortis Thu 28-Apr-16 10:05:56

Try calling Amex. Their travel insurance is brilliant. I've had to claim 3 times (once because the doctor grounded me due to hyperemensis, once because of a flat tyre on a hire car and once because of a windscreen chip on a hire car). All three times they settled quickly and the process was really smooth.

NannyR Thu 28-Apr-16 10:17:15

I have mild asthma that I declare on travel insurance policies and I've found that most don't increase the premium as long as it's well controlled. I can't remember who I used last time but I googled travel insurance pre-existing conditions and called two or three to compare the prices.

Copperspider Thu 28-Apr-16 10:23:48

There are excellent guides on www.moneysavingexpert.com
We need cover for pre-existing conditions, so usually have to pay slightly more, but it isn't much.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Thu 28-Apr-16 10:27:26

We use Flexicover, who have charged us £3 per pre-existing well-managed condition (eg sleep apnea, using a CPAP machine), and also for well-managed but serious sounding conditions (eg something with heart in the name). They seem quite reasonable with non-hospitalised conditions IME

Drinksforeveryone Thu 28-Apr-16 11:28:31

I have been using insureandgo for a few years now.

All the family is on it - and I have a medical condition which is managed. I pay extra premiums for it - but I don't have to. I /we just wouldn't be covered if something relating to that medical condition caused us to claim on insurance.

All policies are different - so it's best to get a couple of quotes and see what comes up.

torthecatlady Thu 28-Apr-16 11:34:04

I keep putting off travel insurance but I need to do it too. I have controlled asthma (only use a ventolin inhaler now and again), no hospital admissions etc. And also very long history of depression, which again is now fine, no medication or involuntary/voluntary hospital admissions... Of the companies who have quoted me, John Lewis was one of the more reasonable. My husband has no medical conditions and is fine to get a basic cover. I'll be following this thread with interest smile

TrainBridge Thu 28-Apr-16 17:44:04

I used one of the ones MSE recommended in the end, and it was £15 for four of us for a week in Europe, so only a few £ more than the MSE Best Buy equivalent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now