Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for games/activities to take on holiday

(8 Posts)
laois80 Wed 20-Apr-16 22:40:25

Hi,

We're driving to France from Ireland with a 1yo and 4yo and I'm looking for some recommendations of travel games or things to do on the journey and at the campsite. They have tvs for the car but only so much they will watch. Also for the ferry trip and in case it rains on site. The 4 yo isn't into arts and crafts at all though I'll bring some things just in case.
Anything lifesaving for when they're bored and grumpy??

buckingfrolicks Wed 20-Apr-16 22:47:19

When we did mega long drives like that I used to buy some cheap little toys and wrap them up then hand one out every 90 mins or whatever.

Eg fuzzy felt to cats cradle string, pack of snap cards, kinder surprise a cd story

laois80 Wed 20-Apr-16 23:52:18

Good ideas thanks smile

MrsJacksonAvery Thu 21-Apr-16 00:00:15

Just got back from Oz with 5yo DD - Top Trumps, Happy Families, Uno, Dobble, sticker books and a book called My First Magic Games Book - £3ish on ebay - 8 board games in one book & didn't take up too much room.

wigglesrock Thu 21-Apr-16 12:20:56

For the campsite I'd go to Poundland and stock up on their outdoor toys - mine like all the bat and ball, throwing discs, bubble wands badminton sets, basically anything you can bash anyone over the head with hmm. They also at that age liked wee plastic cheap tea sets, toy figures any type, sticker books for your older one. Poundland also did cheap kites, and my personal favourite a ribbon - like in rhythmic gymnastics - I think that was the hit of our holiday last year with my then 4 year old. She just ran about with this ribbon all day, making shapes.

laois80 Thu 21-Apr-16 14:46:01

All great, thank you so much. I have a long list now, but anything to keep them entertained!

Toffeelatteplease Thu 21-Apr-16 14:51:07

Dobble

LovingKent Sun 24-Apr-16 12:21:19

Another vote for Dobble and Uno. We got stuck in traffic last year going to Belgium and a sticker book was a lifesaver. How about story CDs? Activity cards were also a hit Usborne Activity Cards - dot to dot, tracing, mazes etc. Comes with a pen and they are wipe clean. i Spy books?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now