Talk

Advanced search

Hotel for London Marathon

(5 Posts)
Theonlyoneiknow Mon 18-Apr-16 11:05:23

Hi,

I know I've left this VERY late however looking online there are hotels available it's just a question of the best/easiest area to stay in? I'm running from the blue start on Sunday (Blackheath) and really don't know London at all (live 550 miles away). I'm flying in/out of London City and going to the Excel on Saturday. Am thinking of just finding a hotel near the Excel Centre for the Friday night then moving to a more central hotel when my partner joins me on Saturday.

Any suggestions for location? I'm a bit of a woos when it comes to travelling around London so don't fancy having to change trains/tube? There is space in Greenwich so I could walk to the start but would then have a bit of a journey at the end. What would Canary Wharf/Docklands be like or should I stay near Charing Cross (for example)

Any tips gratefully received.
Thank You!

CotswoldStrife Mon 18-Apr-16 11:13:05

I can't help with the hotels, but when I did the marathon years ago I got free travel by showing my race number. I actually stayed near Mayfair and made my way across on the trains (tube/dlr) to the start. I got talking to other runners on the train and it was fun, especially as I was on my own.

It's a fab thing to do, the noise on the way round is incredible - enjoy!

Theonlyoneiknow Mon 18-Apr-16 11:15:41

Thanks CotswoldStrife I'm very excited/nervous and I've left it all a bit last minute TBH! Have done the training, just need to finalise the logistics now!

CotswoldStrife Mon 18-Apr-16 12:58:08

I only booked a hotel last minute as well, there are so many in London it's not a problem. As you have mentioned, you can either be near the start or the finish and I went for being near the finish! When are you planning to collect your number, that's a bit of practice on the transport system for you as well (and fun!).

camelfinger Mon 18-Apr-16 13:08:43

Waterloo or Charing Cross would be a good idea as it's a quick (if busy!) train ride to Blackheath for the start and not too far from the finish. If you stayed both nights in Waterloo you could get the jubilee line up to Canning Town and then the DLR to excel for registration. Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful around the London Marathon so I don't think you will have an issue with travel. Good luck, it's an amazing experience!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now