Talk

Advanced search

Planing to go venice with my 4 months old boy.

(7 Posts)
Aye21 Sun 17-Apr-16 11:32:10

Nervous to go venice with my 4 months old , is it safe to take water routes ? How are the baby changing facilities etc ?

Any advice would be apriciated.

Thanks

chemenger Tue 19-Apr-16 09:06:28

Venice with a pushchair would be hard work, there are lots of steps and bridges to negotiate, a sling would be easier. I think the vaporettos would be fine, but they can be crowded.

ShanghaiDiva Tue 19-Apr-16 12:15:09

I have found baby changing facilities in Italy to be pretty poor - but as long as you have a change mat then you can always use the floor in the loos - not ideal though.
Agree with chemenger would not bother with pushchair in Venice, the sling/baby bjorn is much easier.

massistar Wed 20-Apr-16 14:30:41

Definitely go with sling rather than pushchair!

As other posters have said changing facilities are pretty poor so you will need to change LO on the toilet floor.

All that said it is very pedestrian friendly and the Italians love babies!

mimbleandlittlemy Thu 21-Apr-16 17:31:59

They may love babies but not enough to stop to help you up and down the bridges - all of which have steps - so I had to bounce pushchair up and bounce it back down. My ds was too old for a sling (7 months when we went) so it had to be buggy everywhere and it was... er... interesting - some museums let you use a buggy, some will make you carry the child (til your arms drop off in case of large 7 month old). But we had a lovely time, that aside. I was never too worried about changing facilities - as long as I could lie him down on a mat somewhere we were good to go. Don't remember a single 'proper' changing station. Bench in the Doge's Palace looking up at a lovely ceiling for one nappy change I recall, and I remember breast-feeding sitting on a wall and leaning against a pillar in the fish market. Just relax and go with it.

Only thing that gave me a really nervous moment was the taxi driver stretching his arms out to take the baby from me to put him on board the taxi - big stretch of dark water between taxi stop and taxi (seemed big anyway) and me thinking "if he drops him...shock" but he didn't, of course, as they do it all the time!

NicknameUsed Sat 23-Apr-16 17:40:58

The vaporettos get very crowded and aren't pushchair friendly either. Quite frankly I think Venice with a small child sounds like hard work.

NotCitrus Sat 23-Apr-16 17:59:50

If happy using a sling and changing him on the ground, you'll have a great time.Will there be another adult? Then you could have a folded buggy for museums and the islands but not use it when going up and down all the steps on the mainland.

Just take your time and go wherever you want, before he learns to crawl! Enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now