Travelling to France

(4 Posts)
AP30 Thu 14-Apr-16 14:31:50

We have just booked a house in France just outside of Carcassone for June time and now debating whether to fly or whether to take a few days driving down? We have 2 children ages 2 and 4 and wondering whether anyone has any experience of this and any recommendations as to best option?!??!?!

MerdeAlor Thu 14-Apr-16 14:36:29

It depends how far the drive is I suppose. How far from a port like portsmouth do you live? Ive done the trip several times by car taking an overnight ferry and getting down south by early dinner time. Doable but not much fun in the summer tbh. Ferry can be expensive in June.

There are flights I think manchester to carcassonne, you'd need to check and flights from several destinations to Toulouse which is an hour away from Carcassonne.

Flying would be your best and easiest option.

Branleuse Fri 15-Apr-16 07:46:08

its a long way. It depends how long the trip is for, but carcassone is such a nice small little airport, and its easy to hire a car from there, but obviously it depends how much stuff you need to take with you.

I love that whole area, especially if you go into the towns and villages at the foothills of the pyrennees, such as Quillan, Puivert, Esperaza, alet les bains, rennes les bains, for amazing mountain backdrops.

Puivert has a gorgeous little swimming lake, and also further in theres lac de montbel which is so pretty

I would like to live in that area.

dreamingofsun Fri 15-Apr-16 09:19:30

we've flown to the dordogne. a lot of the others at the gite had driven down. they said the roads were great and the traffic light.......but they still looked a bit puffed out to me. i guess it depends how you look at driving - if you enjoy it fine, if not i'd fly. And with 2 young children in the car I can't imagine driving a long way is going to be fun...and all that packing/unpacking for any stopovers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now