Talk

Advanced search

airbnb

(39 Posts)
peppansalt Thu 14-Apr-16 11:59:10

Anyone used Airbnb? Was it a good experience?

We are thinking of renting in Tuscany in July and the comparable prices seem really reasonable.

Am only at properties with lots of good reviews to reduce any risk but would be interested to hear about others experiences.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 14-Apr-16 12:07:59

We were going to book with airbnb this year but they wanted us to pay ythe full price of the accomodation up front. Most other companies ask for a deposit and then you either pay a few weeks before or when you arrive. So we didn't book in the end.

Just worth knowing that is how they work, in case it makes a difference to you.

mummymeister Fri 15-Apr-16 09:21:09

I think its really important to know exactly what you are getting. is it going to be the whole house or will you be sharing some common areas like gardens and pools with your host. I think you hear as many horror stories about airbnb as you do with any other places but the most common complaint is hosts sharing things or living in the downstairs whilst you get the upstairs sort of thing.

slicedfinger Fri 15-Apr-16 09:25:14

We've used it twice now and both have been very positive experiences. We would only look at full house, and have booked relatively close to travelling, so payment in full wasn't an issue.

Skrewt Fri 15-Apr-16 09:35:11

Read the reviews to get a good idea of what to expect. And yes, as Sootica said, you pay upfront.

Reapwhatyousow Fri 15-Apr-16 17:41:22

As an Airbnb host I would say my number one tip is to read ALL of the listing. Look beyond the photos. That way you will learn whether you have a resident host or the entire listing. A listing with a resident host has it's advantages btw so don't dismiss it out of hand.

ihatethecold Fri 15-Apr-16 17:44:20

We used Google earth to check the location of our rental in Italy last year.
I also made sure the host had reviews.
I had lots of contact with the host. He answered my emails full of questions very quickly which I felt was a good sign.
We also only paid a deposit until we arrived safely.
I would definitely use Airbnb again.

Reapwhatyousow Mon 18-Apr-16 18:36:45

ihatethecold - That is good news. In fact full payment is not made until a day into the booking. That protects both parties, guest and host are able to terminate the booking if everything/communication is done within the Airbnb forum and there are sound reasons to do so. It's an excellent model imho based on trust - if you are aware of the much publicized pitfalls. Always read the full listing and look beyond the photographs.

Skrewt Mon 18-Apr-16 21:02:48

Reap, payment is not made to the host until one day into the visit - payment, in my experience as a guest, is made to Airbnb the second you book. (am also a host)

Reapwhatyousow Tue 19-Apr-16 23:07:12

Hello Skrewt, glad to see another host on Mumsnet!
I think the main point is that Airbnb hold it open for both parties to terminate the booking for a defined time period. I'm a host but also use Airbnb for travel and have had no problem in amending bookings either way.

petitpois55 Wed 27-Apr-16 13:49:08

Glad I found this thread. Was pondering whether to book with Airbnb for the first time. To be honest, i was put off a bit by having to pay up front straight away. I also thought some of the deposits were stupidly high , (over £200 in one case)
We ended up sticking with booking.com for a really good price, and we only pay a deposit, not the full amount, until we check in to our apartment.

DeepInFrance Sat 30-Apr-16 03:01:15

Have used them in France, Spain, Bali and Portugal, and never had a problem. Only downside is having to pay upfront. Be absolutely rigorous about what you want (e.g. an elevator in Paris) and read the reviews. Contact your host just to see how swiftly, and well, they respond. If you have even the slightest hesitation about booking, trust your gut and walk away.

EagleRay Sat 30-Apr-16 03:38:18

Hosts - we have our own thread! Can't link but it's in the Freelance/self employed section

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 30-Apr-16 03:46:00

I'm a host and have used Airbnb as a guest twice too (in France and USA). I know it's a pain having to pay in full up front but we have 10+ excellent reviews and are pretty much fully booked through March 2017 so it can't be putting too many people off. We also advertise on trip advisor / holiday lettings but ask for deposits by international bank transfer and the balance 30 days before arriving. To be honest this method does put guests off, which I can understand. It's also expensive to make 2 international bank transfers ( we can't do online payments with trip advisor because they don't accept our country of banking).

BobbyGentry Sat 30-Apr-16 04:13:09

We're a family of four and have used Airbnb successfully in:

Whitby (by the steps)
Paris (Notre Dame)
Tokyo (Ginza)
Thailand (Koh Samed)
& London (Baker Street)

For a family, it makes perfect sense to take an apartment or villa.

Look carefully at the reviews & location and go for it!

notonyurjellybellynelly Sat 30-Apr-16 04:21:19

I'm using it 3 times over the next month in Italy. Then once again in the UK in September. Each time it's either a 2 bedroomed apartment for me and a friend, or a house for 15 in the UK

It's the first time I've used it and I'm doing it in Italy because it's a 3 week trip and I just couldn't face hotels for that length of time.

I'm really looking forward to it.

EagleRay Sat 30-Apr-16 08:00:06

I have 2 Airbnb rooms in my house and currently have a flexible cancellation policy which means guests can get a full refund up to very close to arrival date. I may be less flexible this year though!

Ruthiesj Sat 30-Apr-16 09:19:05

DH and I used it loads last year when travelling around the US. We opted for a variety of different accommodations - some self contained apartments and some rooms in a hosted apartment/house. It was great! We met some really interesting people who were able to offer great tips when we were hosted, so don't necessarily discount those accommodations. It all depends on what experience you're seeking!

Read the reviews and listing in full so you know what to expect.

BlueUggs Sat 30-Apr-16 09:33:44

I've used it loads and it's been great. Yes, you do have to pay upfront.
I booked a house in Spain and the owner didn't read my email correctly and booked it for the wrong dates. I got a full refund.
When you're searching, make sure you tick the filters to say entire place if that's what you want.
We've stayed in some fantastic places through Airbnb.

petitpois55 Sat 30-Apr-16 11:03:44

Has anybody experienced any problems with having their deposits returned. I've

heard a few horror stories! DH and i have just booked flights for a long weekend in

Copenhagen in June. As accommodation is expensive, we are looking at all

options including AirBNB. I'm a bit reluctant to go down this route still...

PattyPenguin Wed 04-May-16 21:58:19

I've used Airbnb, as has an Interrailing adult offspring, but I'm not sure I'd rely on it with a young family. How would you cope if the booking fell through at the last moment?

Read this www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/30/airbnb-cancelled-booking-hour-before-arrived

superram Wed 04-May-16 23:08:28

We stayed on a fabulous apartment in Madrid and it was fantastic-much cheaper than a hotel and much nicer. I would do it again.

petitpois55 Thu 05-May-16 12:47:21

Thanks for the feedback. DH and I have taken the plunge and booked a great looking apartment in the centre of Copenhagen.

It was by far the cheapest option and has exactly what we are looking for.
We already have our accomadation booked for our family holiday in August, but if this apartment is successful in Copenhagen then we may try Airbnb for later on in the year.

Want2bSupermum Thu 05-May-16 14:16:06

My issue with airbnb is that you can have something booked and paid for and the host can back out. I've just had it happen to me for the 2nd time now for booking in the NYC area. The joke is that the host sent a message to say 'Had multiple requests so went with the longer stay.' Fair enough but I will never use you again ever.

My bet is that the guests are tourists and will never visit the city again. In the next six months we have a slew of visitors coming and we were thinking to book this place if we had a good experience this time round. So this host just lost out on easy guests who would use the apartment just for sleeping and showering for about 10-12 weeks of visits.

notonyurjellybellynelly Fri 06-May-16 17:24:26

I'm here in my AIRBNB apartment in Venice and it's lovely. The owner has been a great help. I'm very well pleased all round.

Superman - I would tell the owner just what you've told us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now