Talk

Advanced search

Am I crazy to go to French Riveria in August? Will I spend hours in the car? Anyone been to domaine des naiades?

(13 Posts)
campfan Thu 14-Apr-16 09:28:45

So am about to book domaine des naiades campsite in port grimaud. Our friends are staying in Ramatuelle but there's no availability there. Our plan is to meet up most days- it looks like 15 mins drive according to google
But is it horrendous end July/early August? Where are the traffic jams around there? I was hoping we might be going against the crowd If you leave early and get back late is it better?
And any reviews on domaine des naiades ?

campfan Thu 14-Apr-16 09:56:19

Anyone??

campfan Thu 14-Apr-16 13:39:12

Last hopeful bump

Radiatorvalves Thu 14-Apr-16 13:50:12

I've not been to the Riviera for years, partly because it is expensive, traffic is terrible and I thought it was pretentious....however, millions disagree with me, so maybe you'll be fine! grin

Good luck!

greenclip Thu 14-Apr-16 13:57:54

Not a great deal of experience of the area but I went two years ago in June so slightly out of season, traffic was terrible around St Tropez. I'm sure there is a time in the morning and evening when traffic wouldn't be bad. Ramatuelle wasn't too bad, but it was June. Our hosts also commented that the traffic is bad in July/August.

Perhaps its one of those things you need to accept?

campfan Thu 14-Apr-16 14:05:30

Thanks for that
Yes we prob do need to accept it, although if we are travelling most days to meet with our friends it might be silly to book in port grimaud.
Hopefully most people will go in the other direction..
I've read lots about the traffic. Apparently it's worse around st Maxime?
Do you know the naiades site at all?

revealall Thu 14-Apr-16 18:24:20

We have a mumsnetter called Cote DAzure (or something to that effect).. Worth seeing if you can track them as they live there and are v knowledgeable.

campfan Thu 14-Apr-16 18:26:48

Thanks!! Will do

FieryWill Thu 14-Apr-16 18:37:24

On that coast road round from ste maxime to St tropez you can just sit in jams for hours during high season. Lovely area, but far better in your circumstances to try to get somewhere in Ramatuelle or further West. There are quite a few campsites in Ramatuelle, have you tried them all?

Roseanddagger Thu 14-Apr-16 18:41:43

We went there around 7 years ago now, it was a lovely site, we stayed in a canvas holidays caravan. The pool was absolutely huge (Olympic size I think!) with a couple of small slides. There were strict rules around the pool including no eating or swimming shorts. Canvas had a kids club that ours used a couple of times and seemed to enjoy. There was so much to see and do in the area, Port Grimaud itself was beautiful and we got a boat over to St Tropez for the day which was lovely.

We flew to Nice and hired a car and drove to the site and from memory it wasn't too bad, I think we went the last week in August. I don't think we drove along the coast on the way there although we definitely did on the way back. Any traffic was certainly offset by the beautiful surroundings. Have a lovely holiday!

campfan Thu 14-Apr-16 19:46:45

Thanks roseanddagger that's great to hear!
3 campsites we have tried in Ramatuelle are full (we need a tent space and a mobile)
Booked domaine des naiades now and will leave early for days we are visiting Ramatuelle.
Thanks so much for advice everyone. If anyone has any tips for domaine des naiades or the area, keep 'Em coming!

FieryWill Thu 14-Apr-16 23:01:35

I'm sure you'll have a fab time! We loved the area, and Port Grimaud is lovely. We enjoyed going to the villages of Ramatuelle ( in the hills, not the beach bit) and Gassin they both have lovely little windy streets. St. tropez is a bit of an eye opener, conspicuous wealth on show with the ridiculous yachts in the harbour.

We went on a lovely walk on the coast path from l'Escalet beach to Cap Taillat - one of those beaches where the sea is on both sides, it's stunning.

campfan Thu 14-Apr-16 23:06:24

Thank you! I will save this thread and make sure to check out those villages and that walk. Sounds wonderful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now