Talk

Advanced search

Holiday on own with DC1- has anyone else done it?

(12 Posts)
bamalamlam Tue 12-Apr-16 19:09:27

Just hoping to hear of someone else who has dared to take DC abroad on holiday on their own? Obviously I will plan suitable activities (parks and beaches. no museums or long tours!) But my friends who have kids think I'm mad and will be on the first flight home after 3 days. Am I being a bit naive to think that this could be fun? Has anyone else done this and had good time? Or should I just scrap the whole idea now?

youknowwhattodo Tue 12-Apr-16 19:21:47

How old is dc

Looly71 Tue 12-Apr-16 19:27:39

I had great fun with my Dds when they were 6 and10. There were other single parents at resort as well plus girls made loads of friends and I chatted to their parents as well. One thing though - I had terrible upset stomach and had to send them to chemist on their own --as I couldn't get off loo--for Imodium which was a bit worrying whole they were gone although they were fine - make sure you take some with you!!

Floralnomad Tue 12-Apr-16 19:32:50

My DC are 16+ now but I've always taken them on holiday alone as well as going with DH ,we've done beach/ pool holidays , theme park breaks and city breaks both abroad and in the UK .

bamalamlam Tue 12-Apr-16 20:00:57

DC is 2 years old.

numberseventeen Tue 12-Apr-16 20:05:30

I love going away on my own with ds and did it when he was the same age as yours. So far we've been on beach holidays as well as camping etc, we always meet people and it's lovely to chill out with a glass of wine when dc is asleep!

I've also booked Lapland for December just to 2 of us and can't wait. I have also been abroad with a friend who is also a single mum and obvious it was lovely but I enjoy it being just us just as much.

Where are you thinking of going??

bamalamlam Tue 12-Apr-16 21:03:03

im thinking a European city. We'll have 2 weeks so we might catch a train to second location. I don't want to drive abroad so that's why I'm thinking of sticking to cites or a town maybe. DC hates water so not much point going to beach resort.

bamalamlam Tue 12-Apr-16 21:05:15

It's nice to hear some other people have done this. You've done well to camp I haven't got the skills to put up a tent! I think we will stay in a hotel or possibly rent an apartment.

ChaChaChaCh4nges Tue 12-Apr-16 21:07:17

I've just come back from a week in the sun with mine - 8, 5 and 4 years old. I feel a huge sense of achievement. They had a great time!

bamalamlam Tue 12-Apr-16 21:14:59

Wow chacha if u can do it with 3 I can surely manage 1!

Smartiepants79 Tue 12-Apr-16 21:18:32

If I had only one then I definitely would and when my youngest is a bit bigger I would if my husband couldn't get time off.
I think with just you and DC it'll be fun.

bamalamlam Tue 12-Apr-16 21:39:00

Yay! I'm feeling a bit better about this idea now. I guess so long as I am realistic about what we will do each day it should be okay. i might need to pack light too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now