Talk

Advanced search

Camping in France

(14 Posts)
Mattiegirl Mon 11-Apr-16 10:12:57

DH desperate to go camping in France this summer - I am not sure because I just think it will be hard work, too hot, and what do you do when the kids go to bed? I think I will be stuck outside the tent being bitten my mozzies whilst they sleep! Anyone got any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!

dreamingofsun Mon 11-Apr-16 11:35:18

campsites in france are great - much better than the uk generally. if you are worried about the heat go to brittany - think cornwall with less tat and slightly better weather and great food.

we used mobiles in france and the sites have lots of facilities and are often layed out with hedges between each plot. the kids tended to stay up later, and then once they were in bed i would crack open a bottle of wine and read. mozzies no more of a problem than in the uk. in the vendee it was cold at night so i didn't see any.

this was our standard main holiday for many years when the kids were younger. admittedly with mobiles, which even had dishwashers towards the end. it got us into short breaks camping in tents in the uk.

ukcampsites.co.uk has reviews. carnac was our favourite area; les deux fontaines or le garonioure fav sites (spelt wrong)

GeorgieFarmerswife Thu 14-Apr-16 09:18:06

You should look at a half way house, what some people call glamping. We have stayed at Le Camp in France www.lecamp.co.uk 3 times. This is not hard work at all, more like a hotel in tents - when you arrive it is all done for you. The kids all hang out with the other kids - i managed to read a whole book! At night, because It is a small campsite, you can put them to bed and sit near by in the main area and have a glass of wine with the other guests whilst keeping an eye from a distance. I never felt trapped, just chilled! Its a great place you should defo check it out, hope that's helped

SisterMoonshine Thu 14-Apr-16 09:24:46

I quite like my camping evenings stuck outside the tent being bitten by mossies in the UK - I think in France I would perhaps be drinking better wine though.

IdealWeather Thu 14-Apr-16 09:30:09

It depends where you are going!

Campsites generally are much better than in the uk.
The further south you go, the warmer it is but we've always managed to find a campsite with plenty of trees to be under the shadows so not so hot.
Or you can go in the Alps (higher in altitude so cooler) or stay north of the Loire valley (more risk of rain).
I've never had any issues with mosquitos at all.
Usually, the dcs go to bed and we stay outside having a drink, chatting maybe reading a bit. I found that the dcs are going to bed later anyway (lighter evenings).

Daffydil Thu 14-Apr-16 09:54:36

We go camping in France every summer. It's the easiest, low stress holiday ever. When the children are in bed you sit outside the tent drinking wine and eating cheese. What's not to like?

French campsites are brilliant, and do the best chips. Take an empty saucepan up to the bar to get chips while your meat is on the BBQ (supervised, obv). Best holiday dinner possible.

pinkchampagne1 Thu 14-Apr-16 12:52:34

Can really reccomend La Croix du Vieux Pont campsite in Berny Riviere, just north of Paris. There is loads for the children including a pool with flumes, fountains etc, go karts, bouncy castles, soft play, laser quest, bowling, bungee trampoline and several play areas. There is also a lovely man-made beach with a nice beach bar for the parents to have a quick drink while watching the children play.

We are about to have our 5th visit here in less than 3 years!

MidnightMemor1es Thu 14-Apr-16 12:57:10

I haven't been since 1999 but as a child we went to La Siren in argeles sur mer every year. We stayed in a caravan rather than a tent. I have many happy memories of my childhood holidays there.
I'm thinking of going back this year with my OH to drink wine and eat my body weight in Brie, baguettes and patisserie grin

ReturnoftheWhack Thu 14-Apr-16 12:57:13

We do Eurocamp in Spain, our mobile this year is the Aspect - more of a chalet/apartment really. When our two go to bed, we do as others do, sit out the front on our terrace drinking wine and eating cheese!

Daffydil Thu 14-Apr-16 15:24:06

Have to disagree with pinkchampagne - we hated that campsite. I think we prefer more rusticy places with real lakes and rivers wink Also the bread and croissants there were awful. But there are so many French campsites there is something for every taste.

La Siren sounds familiar - we may have been there.

pinkchampagne1 Thu 14-Apr-16 16:18:17

I guess if you're after rustic it probably isn't the campsite for you, but we loved the fact there was so much to keep the children entertained, which made a more relaxing holiday for us. smile We didn't have a problem with the bread from the shop on site and there is also a bakery in the little town just outside the camp too.

We were after somewhere quite nearby as any longer than 3 hours in a car with my boys would drive us crazy! There are loads of lovely campsites all over France though.

AlmaMartyr Thu 14-Apr-16 16:20:40

DH was nervous about camping in France but we had a wonderful time. Super relaxed holiday, lovely campsites. No issues with mosquitoes at all for us. We were in the Poitou-Charentes.

Clayhead Thu 14-Apr-16 22:33:17

ReturnoftheWhack, which campsites have you stayed at in Spain? (Sorry for hijack)

Mattiegirl Sat 16-Apr-16 11:19:31

Thanks for all the replies - actually I've had a look at Le Camp and it looks really lovely, more my cup of tea because zero hassle, they are holding a tent for me whilst we look at travel - starting to feel excited now as I reckon it will tick all the boxes ..... hope you all have a nice holiday whatever you do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now