Drive to France- too much for 7 month old?!

(17 Posts)
ShinySarah Thu 07-Apr-16 22:04:26

We're considering returning to France this year...but this year we'd have a 7 month old...Do we think it's too long a trip?!

iyamehooru Thu 07-Apr-16 22:17:23

No, easier when you they're that age and sleep lots, go for it.

Whathaveilost Thu 07-Apr-16 22:19:02

Where are you departing from and what part of France?

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Thu 07-Apr-16 22:20:24

I did exactly this with then 7 month old ds and 2.5 yo dd last year. It was fantastic. Regular breaks for drinks and nappy changes and stretching. He crawled and cruised all round the ferry and then slept for 3 hours on the French side. Fab holiday, loved it and planning to do same again when dh's career settles smile

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Thu 07-Apr-16 22:20:25

We have done it lots with both of ours - they sleep a lot then you stop at the next aire for a break.

EdithSimcox Thu 07-Apr-16 22:21:38

No of course not! Unless you're starting from Turkey maybe. 7 months is a darn sight better than 2 years for that kind of journey. Just allow enough time for stops, feeds etc. And enjoy smile

ShinySarah Fri 08-Apr-16 07:24:44

Awh that's v positive ladies thank you...we'd be leaving Manchester and heading to the Vendee...We did it last year with DS1 & 2 and it was fab!! Just thought she might be too young for the long journey...

ShinySarah Fri 08-Apr-16 07:26:52

DS1 & 2 are 5 and 7...

FreedomMummy Fri 08-Apr-16 07:29:02

We did it last year with a 9 mth old and met a family with 5 kids aged about 10 down to newborn who had driven from Edinburgh!!
Have a great holiday.

ShinySarah Fri 08-Apr-16 07:44:31

shock5!!!!! Omg I thought I was brave doing it with 3 of them!

Ditsy4 Fri 08-Apr-16 08:01:13

Vendee is quite a way down. We went to Brittany from North of England with four. Southern Brittany was lovely we went to Guerande and Quimper, we were camping. Vender was very hot when we went with three so be careful with baby's sensitive skin. Loved taking my kids to France and they loved it too. Have a lovely time.

Amy214 Sun 10-Apr-16 14:44:19

Do it, it is so much easier. We travelled from scotland to cornwall when dd was 4 months old and because we drove at night she slept the whole way there. Even when we took her out the car seat for a stretch. Done it again last year and planning to do it again this year all the way to paris just let yourself have extra time for regular stops and you will be fine.

frenchfancy Mon 11-Apr-16 20:04:22

Vendee isn't that far down. Drive from Manchester to Portsmouth. Get the overnight ferry - you can fit a travel cot (Brittany Ferries provide them) in between the bunks so you can all be in one cabin. Once at St Malo it is only a 3 hour easy drive.

ShinySarah Tue 12-Apr-16 17:26:58

Brilliant!!! Thanks frenchfancy that's the route we've been considering!! smile

langlandgirl Thu 14-Apr-16 09:06:15

We did it with our dd when she was 5 months - if you are breastfeeding it's a bit of a pain in terms of feeding stops but other than that it was fine. We went south west , 2hrs south of bordeaux

tinygigolo Thu 14-Apr-16 11:43:39

Just to add to the posts already, we did it last year when our DD was 3 months old and it was brilliant, the best holiday! I was BF and we managed to make the journey from St Malo to La Tranche in one go before she woke up and wanted feeding. Also the best night's sleep on the ferry, think it must have been the motion!

ShinySarah Thu 14-Apr-16 19:02:04

That's super reassuring to know!!! Sounds like lots of you brave ladies have done it! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now