Talk

Advanced search

What happens if I miss outgoing flight of a package holiday

(10 Posts)
FrizzyPig Thu 07-Apr-16 11:04:16

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any experience of this or who works for a tour operator who can help me.

My DP and I are looking to book a package holiday with Thomas Cook for the Easter holidays next year.

The deal we have found is very reasonable however I wouldn't be able to fly out on the date that my DP wants.

It would be a lot cheaper for us to book the holiday anyway and then I would get a separate flight out at a later date to join my family for the rest of the holiday.

I've spoken to Thomas Cook and they say that it isn't possible as I'd count as a 'no show' and my return flight would automatically be cancelled.

I just wondered if anybody could see a way around this.

TIA

FrizzyPig Thu 07-Apr-16 11:10:46

My thinking was that if I 'accidentally' missed my flight or lost my passport, would Thomas Cook help me out by letting me keep the rest of the holiday if I was able to get a new flight out there?

andadietcoke Thu 07-Apr-16 11:17:52

A couple of my team missed their business flight in the autumn. They rearranged their outgoing travel but when they got to the airport to come home it had been cancelled. There was no leeway nor anything they could do.

LIZS Thu 07-Apr-16 11:19:07

The return ticket would be void. Can you not arrange flights and accommodation separately?

beingorange Thu 07-Apr-16 11:20:17

its a fairly strict policy that if you miss the outward bound, the return is cancelled. Is it a Thomas Cook charter flight? If nits a normal airline you could call them after you 'missed' the flight and ask if they could keep the return leg open, but they could say no.

FrizzyPig Thu 07-Apr-16 11:23:21

Thanks for your replies.

Yeah they seemed very strict about it when I rang and asked but just wondered if in reality they are able to do anything.

So it seems unlikely then.

I think it's a bad idea anyway but DP wants that specific deal. I'm a teacher so would not be able to fly out til 3 days later.

Oh well not to worry!

beingorange Thu 07-Apr-16 11:26:02

you could possibly just book additional flights separately: would that still work out cheaper overall?

FrizzyPig Thu 07-Apr-16 11:47:01

Yes that's an idea. Thanks.

HarryDresdensLeatherDuster Sat 16-Apr-16 21:59:57

Interesting, as DS missed his TC flight for a post-A level lads' holiday last summer (we overslept and got there 5 minutes after their allowed 90 minute baggage drop). I sat in the car park and booked him an easy jet flight an hour later and he met the rep at the airport who arranged transfers and the rest of the holiday and return flight were fine. Never occurred to me that he might have had further issues!!

specialsubject Tue 19-Apr-16 19:55:33

book your trip accommodation only and arrange your own flights and transfers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now