Talk

Advanced search

Car hire in Gibralter for Spain...help please!

(6 Posts)
Tallformyage Tue 05-Apr-16 22:36:09

We're flying into Gibralter airport but holidaying in Spain about half hour drive away. Any ideas on whether it's better to hire car in Gibralter or walk across border and hire one in Spain?! Can't find any comprehensive advice on this!

Tallformyage Tue 05-Apr-16 22:47:38

confused

BarbaraofSeville Thu 07-Apr-16 07:52:56

Some info on this thread.

The short answer is that most (but possibly not all) of the car hire places are in Spain anyway, even if you hire a car from 'Gibraltar Airport'. The car hire place is a very short walk across the border (probably less distance than you would walk in a large airport).

Yes, you want a car that you can return in Spain because the queues to drive in and out of Gib can be long so what you don't want is to have to do that on the way back to the airport.

Where are you going in Spain? <nosy>. I have been to that area many times and love it.

Tallformyage Thu 07-Apr-16 08:30:02

Thanks for the advice. We're staying at a friends place in Sotogrande. Not been before to that part of the world, so any tips welcome!

And apologies for spelling Gibraltar incorrectly!! It autocorrected it so I thought it was right!! grin

BarbaraofSeville Thu 07-Apr-16 09:53:50

Sotogrande isn't my thing as I prefer all the authentic Spanish towns and villages but I'm sure you'll have a relaxing time in the lovely hot weather.

If you're travelling around Gibraltar itself is worth spending a day in and further along the coast at Tarifa, Zahara, Barbate are all lovely, or inland to the cork forests and Castallar, or the other way up the coast as far as Estepona, or inland to Ronda, Gaucin, Manilva etc.

It depends what you like and how much running around you want to do. If you like Sotogrande, you'll probably like Marbella and Puerto Banus too.

Tallformyage Thu 07-Apr-16 13:17:16

Ah ok. I normally prefer the less popular with Brits places too, having lived in Portugal. Thanks for info, ill check it out.
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now