Talk

Advanced search

Taxis and toddlers: car seat required?

(9 Posts)
boomboomchickaboom Sat 02-Apr-16 22:30:47

I'm planning a couple of trips in Europe with my toddler this summer. As I'm not hiring a car and I'm travelling on my own with DC its not feasible to take a car seat with me so what happens if we end up needing to take a taxi to get to the hotel? Can children travel in a taxi without a car seat? or does it depend on which country? Were going to France and Poland (separate trips). We'll be able to use public transport most of the time so its mainly to and from the airports that I'm concerned about. Does anyone have any advice?

dementedpixie Sat 02-Apr-16 22:32:54

In the UK it is legal to travel in a taxi without a car seat but don't know laws in other countries

boomboomchickaboom Sun 03-Apr-16 00:43:25

Do any taxi companies ever have car seats you can hire? I've never heard of it but it sounds like it would be a sensible solution.

LittleNelle Sun 03-Apr-16 00:45:42

How old is your toddler? We used a trunki booster seat in this kind of situation - DS was too light for it really but at least it meant the belt sat on him properly.

boomboomchickaboom Sun 03-Apr-16 00:54:33

He'll be about 20 months when we go. I guess a booster is better than nothing. Will I find one of those easily on Google?

LittleNelle Sun 03-Apr-16 01:03:24

Trunki Boostapak.

CrazyMary Sun 03-Apr-16 01:34:03

We've booked an airport transfers for our holidays. You can request a car seat. Some charge extra for it, but I pay because we travel by motorway, they drive like maniacs at high speed.

boomboomchickaboom Sun 03-Apr-16 11:10:12

Thanks! CrazyMary this might be safest option. A decent airport transfer company would wait for you if u r delayed too I guess? That would be my biggest worry. If we are delayed and the buses and trains aren't running we still need to be able to get to the hotel safely. Do the airport websites have info about transfer companies?

CrazyMary Sun 03-Apr-16 22:40:45

You will put in your flight number/time when making the booking so they will check for updates/delay so they will be there on time. I'm not sure which Companies to use in Poland or France but if you Google 'airport transfers at X airport', it should bring up a list and you can check for reviews. A good European phrase book/translation app on your phone might be useful too and suss out the usual fare rate for airport trips. I'd imagine most Hotels would book/arrange a taxi from/to the Airport, if you request it (email or phone). If you book your trip through a travel agent, they can probably arrange airport transfers on your behalf and would have experience in dealing with transfer Companies so will use reliable firms. Don't forget to check about Roaming service/costs on your mobile when going abroad, especially if you have a bill phone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now