BA check-in procedures: can anyone reassure me on this?

(27 Posts)
randomsellotape Fri 01-Apr-16 17:31:34

We are due to go on holiday on a trip that involves returning to the UK from Europe on a BA flight. (For outward leg we are using a different airline.) I am used to flying with budget airlines and printing off all the boarding passes before we go. For the BA flight, check-in only opens 36 hours before flight departure, by which time we will already be away and won't have printing facilities. Does anyone know whether we can check in at a desk at the airport provided we have booking reference and the card used to book the flight? Also, I can't find anything asking us to enter Advance Passenger Information online, which I've always had to do when flying with other airlines, and I'm a bit concerned I may have somehow missed it, but perhaps BA just collect that information when you check in? Can anyone reassure me that all I need to do is turn up in good time at the airport with the booking reference and the card that I used to book the flights? It's just a bit different to what I've experienced before when flying, and I'm a bit paranoid about missing the flight because I've failed to do something I'm supposed to do!

JemimaHighway Fri 01-Apr-16 17:38:45

Have you got a smart phone? Download the BA app, and then when check-in opens you can download the boarding passes (up to 5) on your phone.

ABetaDad1 Fri 01-Apr-16 17:40:25

I flew to the US on Monday and back on Wednesday. Just turned up with booking reference, my passport and the US Visa (obviously you dont need that for Europe).

You can just check in with BA at the desk. Indeed if you have bags for the hold you have to go through the desk anyway. The online thing just saves you time and them money at the airport if you don't have bags.

Not sure about the API.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Fri 01-Apr-16 17:40:50

You can check in at the airport with just your passport at the BA desk.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 01-Apr-16 17:40:58

You'll need the boarding passes but the app works fine, it'll scan on your phone.

I've always entered Advanced Passenger Information before the flight though - even with BA. I'd double-check that you haven't missed somewhere to enter that. Or give them a call and check!

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Fri 01-Apr-16 17:42:09

You can add API on the BA website at any time.

SoupDragon Fri 01-Apr-16 17:44:10

I've never been able to print the boarding passes for BA return flights and it has never been an issue. The check in desk does it when you drop your bags.

API can be added under "manage my booking" on the BA Website if you have a booking reference.

Longdistance Fri 01-Apr-16 17:45:18

I have the BA app. I do everything from there, and can check in. As I'm an exec card holder, my API is already in the system, so no need to input it unless we renew passports.

stealthsquiggle Fri 01-Apr-16 17:48:03

You can check in online and choose to collect boarding passes at the airport, or just check in at the airport - either will work fine. (Or download the app, but that won't work unless you have as many devices as people...)

JemimaHighway Fri 01-Apr-16 17:57:26

Or download the app, but that won't work unless you have as many devices as people...)

That's not true. You can download 5 boarding passes to one device. I do it all the time in my iPhone with my kids.

stealthsquiggle Fri 01-Apr-16 17:59:05

Can you?

Well, that's my thing learned for the day. I always use the app when I travel alone, and never when travelling with DC. Isn't it a faff when you are boarding?

JemimaHighway Fri 01-Apr-16 18:09:01

Not for us. I don't have an Android (so not sure how it works with those phones). I have an iPhone, and you save them to your "Wallet". Then your boarding card available on "lock screen" and you simply swipe between persons travelling. It's really easy and saves faffing with different boys of paper.

Frazzled2207 Fri 01-Apr-16 18:09:20

If you check in at the airport that will be fine other than the fact that you're unlikely to get a good pick of seats unless you pre-book
get the app!

JemimaHighway Fri 01-Apr-16 18:12:51

...BITS.... of paper

stealthsquiggle Fri 01-Apr-16 18:17:47

But it's not all or nothing, Frazzled. You can check in, pick seats, etc online without printing the boarding passes - at the end of the process you just pick "collect my boarding pass at the airport" (I may be paraphrasing) - you are every bit as "checked in" as you would be with the app. This is what we have always done when travelling with DC with no easy access to printing facilities.

randomsellotape Fri 01-Apr-16 18:28:09

Thank you very much for all the responses. I love Mumsnet for stuff like this! I have had another look on the website and it says there will be a red exclamation mark next to the passenger info on Manage My Booking if there is info you are supposed to be telling them. There is definitely no red exclamation mark when I go into Manage My Booking. I have found another reference to API where they say they collect it at Manage My Booking or at check-in, so I assume for the flight we're booked on they just do it at check-in. In any event, they seem clear that you can provide the API at check-in if you haven't provided it already.

Frazzled2207 Fri 01-Apr-16 20:33:00

Airlines now routinely ask for the api info when you book though you don't HAVE to provide it at that time.
If you got your passport out when you booked the ticket it's sorted.

Frazzled2207 Fri 01-Apr-16 20:33:56

Ah stealth thanks I did not know that.

Op, do what stealth suggests!

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Fri 01-Apr-16 20:47:36

I do exactly what stealth does! Online check in starts 24 hours before the flight so providing you can get on line within that time frame it is easy peasy.

ReggaeShark Sat 02-Apr-16 01:50:31

Flying with BA later today. Am abroad. Checked in online. App only allows one boarding pass per mobile device. Sod that. Will get boarding passes at check in.

SoupDragon Sat 02-Apr-16 08:27:28

If you're on an iPhone, you need to open the "wallet" app and add the BA app there I think.

carthorsespullcarts Sat 02-Apr-16 21:04:32

Soup how does it work at security if all the boarding cards are on one phone?

SoupDragon Sat 02-Apr-16 22:55:37

Apparently you scroll through them.

Ive not used it since you could do more than one as it was a bit of a PITA even with just one

JemimaHighway Sun 03-Apr-16 13:02:16

"App only allows one boarding pass per mobile device. Sod that." This is absolutely not the case on iPhone.

You can have 5 boarding passes on one device. You simply scroll through.

JemimaHighway Sun 03-Apr-16 13:07:24

From BA website:

British Airways has updated its mobile app to allow multiple boarding passes to be viewed for the same flight.

It means that one passengers can now “hold” the boarding passes for up to eight passengers, providing they are all travelling together on the same booking reference number.

The new service is available for departures from the following airports, with more to follow “over the coming weeks”:

Aberdeen, Amsterdam, Basel, Belfast, Dublin, Dusseldorf, Edinburgh, Geneva, Glasgow, Jersey, Leeds, London City, London Gatwick, London Heathrow, Manchester, Vienna and Zurich

The update is available for iPhone and Android devices, with users simply needing to swipe between boarding passes, where two or more passengers are travelling together.

BA said that it had made the update in response “to feedback from our customers who were in groups travelling together to make passing through the airport quicker and easier”.

Note that the multiple boarding pass service is not available for bookings which include an infant passenger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now