Talk

Advanced search

Jordan - would you?

(8 Posts)
dynevoran Wed 30-Mar-16 14:01:20

A very good friend of dp (over 20 years of friendship) and me (known 12 years and lived with previously) is getting married in Aug.

It was supposed to be in Istanbul. But he and his fiancee have decided that due to recent events (latest bomb 100m from proposed dinner venue) they had to find a new venue. They live in Islamabad working for an ngo. He is British. she is Egyptian. Her family can't mostly get uk or indeed eu visas. Esp not in the timeframe. So they have settled on Jordan.

In one sense I'd love to go and in another I feel it's not really much safer than Turkey. But there are plenty of places I would go to that appear to have a higher level of alert. Would you go and would you take two kids (5 and 2). Can leave with mil and fil so going alone is an option.

dynevoran Wed 30-Mar-16 14:03:23

Also posting in chat for more traffic.

DessertOrDesert Wed 30-Mar-16 14:26:28

Where in Jordan? It's got some dodgy boarders!!!!

If away from the syria boarder, yes, I think I probably would, with kids. But then I live in the ME.

I suspect it is safer than parts of Turkey, given the current situation there.

Be sensible, be safe, enjoy it.

Off to find your chat thread, and see how in the minority I am grin

dynevoran Wed 30-Mar-16 14:31:54

I'm guessing Amman or dead sea areas. It doesn't have the most peaceful borders does it?!

Good to hear from someone who lives in ME. it's so hard to not be fearful but then when you rationalise it I live in London and we are bound to have another incident here soon, sadly, and I'm not rushing to move away.

DessertOrDesert Wed 30-Mar-16 16:54:25

I see most on your other thread disagree with me!
I don't think anywhere is safe any more. I see different events in the news compared to the BBC website! Amman or Dead sea are both, IMO, as reasonable as anywhere else.

Hersetta427 Thu 31-Mar-16 12:20:55

I assume it is some large city so I would go - you would go to London would you not? Would love the opportunity to go to Petra.

CaurnieBred Sat 02-Apr-16 12:13:33

I would go. Can't live your life on what ifs. I wd take the opportunity to visit Jerash, Petraeus and Wadi Rum.

CaurnieBred Sat 02-Apr-16 12:13:53

* Petra

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now