Talk

Advanced search

Train in france

(2 Posts)
tryingtosleep Fri 25-Mar-16 22:30:42

Has anyone ever taken the train across France with a family?
I was wondering if there is some kind of family railcard and if it's worth buying?
We're taking the Eurostar to Paris first. But then travelling onto Montpellier and back.
Thanks in advance for your help!!

Janek Sat 26-Mar-16 10:49:55

I have a notion i came across one a while ago, but it seemed to be linked to your income and not for just anyone, iyswim. Your best bet is to keep an eye on when the tickets come on sale and book them as quickly as possible. For TGV and intercity you need to book seats on a specific train, and booking in advance gets you the best prices. Trains are supposed to go on sale 90 days before the journey, but in the last couple of years they have messed around with this and have started releasing trains for the whole summer in one go (or this year, saying they will do this, but in the event the intercity trains are not included).

You can book with eurostar.com from london to montpellier, but to do this all tickets need to be available already, eurostar tickets go on sale six months in advance, so if you want to get the best price on eurostar you have to guess when your connecting train will depart. This is not without risk...

I presume you have already consulted seat61.com.

Don't forget that for the metro in paris once you turn 10 you need a full price ticket, i think it is over 12 on the trains and eurostar though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now