Advanced search

Does anyone know of a company that will insure when a condition is not yet diagnosed?

(17 Posts)
Thethingswedoforlove Wed 23-Mar-16 17:24:41

Someone is due to fly to USA v soon but has a condition which flares up and for which the consultant appointment is not until after the holiday. So it is not yet diagnosed. It seems very hard to get insurance for this - easier if it were a really bad diagnosis than to have nothing. Friend really does not want to have to cancel trip when at the moment is healthy and able to travel (and so couldn't get doc note to cancel and claim insurance even if wanted to do that).

Any ideas or experiences at all? The person is pretty desperate.....

Thethingswedoforlove Wed 23-Mar-16 19:44:15


specialsubject Thu 24-Mar-16 10:29:49

trying to help - most insurers have issues if there is a booked treatment/appointment, and as it is the US you really cannot take a chance. All I can suggest is trying a broker.

and avoid anyone underwritten by Intana, with whom I'm currently having a terrific struggle over a tiny claim. They argue about everything. No way would I chance them for the States.

Thethingswedoforlove Thu 24-Mar-16 14:47:07

Really kind. Thank you. This is a much long for holiday but they get the seriousness of being uninsured in the us....

specialsubject Thu 24-Mar-16 19:09:22

indeed. Losing out on a holiday is a total bugger, but there WILL be other opportunities. The uninsured bill anywhere can bankrupt people, the bill in the USA could bankrupt the entire family. Goodbye houses and life savings.

I really hope they have cancellation insurance at least!

Thethingswedoforlove Thu 24-Mar-16 19:46:38

Well apparently they don't because his condition is indiagnosed.....

specialsubject Fri 25-Mar-16 16:19:08

ah. Was afraid that would be the case. So if a broker can't help the choices are cancel (and lose all the money) or go to the USA uninsured which is borderline lunacy. Bear in mind that anyone can trip up or get hit by a car, it doesn't have to be connected to the condition.

I'm really sorry, but I think the only option is to cancel. Too risky. This is why you must buy insurance when you book (and check beforehand that you can insure). I realise that 20/20 hindsight is marvellous..

Thethingswedoforlove Fri 25-Mar-16 16:48:31

Thanks. The issue is that they did buy insurance when they booked. But the indiagnosed condition has manifested itself since (so tests and consultant appt due after the holiday as couldn't get appts
Before). Think they managed to pay a consultant yesterday so hope they got something close to a diagnosis but agree re being in us with no insurance is not something to do....

clam Fri 25-Mar-16 16:57:02

Wait a moment. If the insurance was bought before the condition became apparent then they might be ok. Check that out.

Thethingswedoforlove Fri 25-Mar-16 17:09:22

Aha! Well I assume my friend did that as he was very concerned and I just assumed he had spoken to the company concerned! But i will contZct him now with that thought! Thanks clam

simonettavespucci Fri 25-Mar-16 17:14:18

Agree with clam that if they took insurance out before the condition appeared they may well be covered.

I've also, rather to my surprise, had very helpful advice on medical travel insurance issues, though not this issue precisely, from BIBA:

Thethingswedoforlove Fri 25-Mar-16 17:23:33

Oooh thanks simone

TarteAbricot Fri 25-Mar-16 17:26:56

Yes, if they bought the insurance before the condition occurred, whether diagnosed or not then surely they will be covered for cancellation?That's the point of buying the insurance, isn't it??

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Fri 25-Mar-16 17:27:34

I think that along as your friend has no evidence in their medical records that they sought medical advice on the symptoms of this condition before they purchased the insurance this would not be counted as a pre-existing condition and they would be covered.

Thethingswedoforlove Fri 25-Mar-16 17:36:20

It isn't the pre existing condition that is the issue it is the fact that they don't yet know what the condition is and how serious it is. They are concerned that if something happens with this condition requiring treatment when they are there the fact it is under investigation will be a problem. My friend hasn't got back to me but they were v v concerned on Thursday.

specialsubject Fri 25-Mar-16 18:23:34

I really hope they bought insurance before the investigation started.

Thethingswedoforlove Fri 25-Mar-16 18:29:40

Can't be sure about the order of booking the Hol and he symptoms beginning. shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now