Talk

Advanced search

My DD's Passport is delayed - despite 'Guaranteed' 1 week service - how do I speed it up?

(8 Posts)
BusyBusyBusy1 Sat 19-Mar-16 19:59:17

Am due to fly in 3 days to Australia with DD aged 10. I applied for a Guaranteed 1 week passport renewal 8 days ago, and they said it would arrive today (Saturday). Phoned 0300 222 0000 number today and....they only sent a letter out yesterday to my colleague who counter-signed it (he hasn't received it yet). No way that waiting for letter to arrive, then posting it back would make it in time. I am totally frantic - what can I do? I have had different advice from helpline - one said to try and phone on Monday (that is 48 hours before we travel) to the Passport Office. I don't mind going down in person (again), faxing it all through, paying for courier - anything!!! But they are so unhelpful! If any one has any experience of this (or even better a telephone number) please share!

Thanks so much

mrsnoon Sat 19-Mar-16 20:09:41

Phone them on Monday. When OH's nan was taken ill (lives abroad) and we had to get our youngest a passport I called the helpline on the Tuesday after I'd received the text saying they'd got the application and explained the situation and that we might have to travel sooner rather than later. I offered to pay extra to get it on the Fast Track but the lady there put a note on our application and said she would make sure it went to the top of the pile. Later that day they called me to say it had been processed and the man on the phone was about to take it down to the printing department(?) himself and he would make sure it was despatched first thing the following day. Arrived by courier Thursday morning.
It's a bit of a pain getting through to the right person but once you can speak to a human being they are really helpful. smile

BusyBusyBusy1 Sat 19-Mar-16 21:41:15

Thanks so much for that - I am assuming you just phoned the main number (0300 222 0000)?

mrsnoon Sat 19-Mar-16 23:29:45

Yes smile

mouldycheesefan Sun 20-Mar-16 07:59:52

Did you use the post office check and send service where they check it all? as sounds like could be issue with signature?

Izzymumcor2010 Sat 26-Mar-16 17:52:11

Hello, so sorry to hijack this thread! But I wondered whether anyone at all had any experience of a one day passport still being issued to children? Realised too late (stupid!) that daughter's passport has expired, and due to fly on Tuesday. We have an appointment on Monday for the 1 week fast track, but is it worth begging and pleading and possibly paying for a same day issue? Thanks so much!

Totesgawjushun69 Mon 28-Mar-16 00:13:38

The 0300 number is basically a central call centre. They lie a lot to calm people down. The letter to the counter signature was a lie in my experience.

Try and find the fax number for the office the application is at and fax them a message titled urgent explaining the situation.

If all else fails contact your MP and ask them to chase it for you, we ended up doing this and finally got it sorted. Sounds drastic but we without doubt would have lost our holiday without their help.

Once you have confirmation that the application has been 'checked* it should be with you within 24 hours.

Good luck, fingers crossed for you.

Totesgawjushun69 Mon 28-Mar-16 00:18:46

Sorry not checked, they need to have been examined.

I've just searched my emails and found a couple of numbers I faxed my letter too and had a response. I can't remember which one worked. 01913707140, 02030120254, 01913707070.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now