egypt at easter

(8 Posts)
surabayajenny Wed 16-Mar-16 15:55:34

Can anyone advise about what to wear/not to wear? Do I need tops with long sleeves? Will jeans look out of place? We'll be in Cairo and Luxor. I don't want to take too much luggage but am worried about bringing the wrong stuff.

tia

Hersetta427 Thu 17-Mar-16 12:25:20

It will be very warm during the day - don't think you will need jeans really. I would stick with cotton trousers. You may need a long sleeve top (linen shirt maybe for Cairo) as some places like you to cover your shoulders for modesty and it will stop you from getting sunburnt at Giza too.

Branleuse Thu 17-Mar-16 12:26:21

I thought advice was not to travel there atm?

Hersetta427 Thu 17-Mar-16 13:36:43

No not at all. They only deem Sharm Airport unsafe so no flights there but flights are still flying to Cairo, Hurgada etc. Hope so anyway. We are going to Hurgada in May!

kardashianklone Thu 17-Mar-16 13:54:22

Jeans are fine but might be a bit warm and uncomfortable. Try long trousers like cargo pants or cotton. Some people manage to get away with wearing normal western clothes. My experience in Egypt was horrific, and I ended up having to wear hijab and burka to stop the grabbing and the staring and the near gang raping (I wasn't swanning around in bikinis, I was fully covered, but still. Not trying to scare you). Basically, cover everything up if you are going 'outside' (as in, not in a hotel complex). Easier than dealing with harassment. If you're going with a male, life will probably be easier generally. Take a headscarf if you want to go to any religious sites. Cairo and Luxor- they are very used to tourists so it will probably be fine, but I would cover as much as I could, if just to avoid the sand flies and camel fleas. Not that you asked, but check the seals on bottles of water if buying out and about. Also, take tablets with you for upset stomachs and bottoms. Much easier than buying out there. I had a Nubian chicken experience that will forever haunt me.

NeverGetTheBestOfMe Thu 17-Mar-16 14:19:01

I went to Sharm last Easter (April) and was surprised it got dark by about 6pm!

In the day time at the hotel I wore shorts and t-shirts but at night it can get a little chilly (or maybe that was because I was on the coast.)

I wouldn't rule out long sleeves or a light jacket

surabayajenny Thu 17-Mar-16 15:10:29

Thanks everyone. That's very helpful. I'm also wondering about mosquitoes and if anyone has tried these plastic mosquito repellent bracelet thingies?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019YDDXDY?keywords=mosquito%20repellent&psc=1&qid=1458227245&ref_=sr_1_1&s=drugstore&sr=1-1-spons

amicissimma Sun 20-Mar-16 15:17:02

For a general everyday mosquito-and-biting-insect repellant try Avon Skin So Soft.

Probably better to use DEET or similar to avoid mosquito-borne diseases such as malaria (as well as anti-malarials), dengue and so on if you go somewhere where they are prevalent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now