Talk

Advanced search

Lake District Base - Keswick or further south?

(14 Posts)
starfish8 Mon 14-Mar-16 14:27:01

Hi

Looking at a base for a week in the Lakes with my DH and DS (2.5). Was interested in trying Keswick for a change, as we've done Bowness/Windermere/Kendal to death over the years, travelling from Manchester.

Trying to decide if it's worth being based up there given current road restrictions, or whether somewhere more central would be easily to get to various places?

Ideas I have on my list are:

Keswick - Pencil museum, swimming, town
Grizedale Sculpture Park
Whinlatter - Wild Play
Tarn Hows
Boat - Windermere/Ambleside
Something train related e.g. Steam train at Haverthwaite or Ravenglass/Eskdale Railway.
South Lakes Wildlife Park - could be on the way back to Manchester?

Can anyone suggest a suitable base to allow me to reach all of these areas? Was wondering about Grasmere? Are there other areas like Coniston that are worth considering?

Any other suggestions to keep my little boy happy too? (Loves anything train, boat, vehicle based, less Beatrix Potter etc).

Blowninonabreeze Mon 14-Mar-16 14:33:48

Keswick is lovely.
you can do a boat trip on derwentwater so no need to travel south for that one.

lake district wildlife park instead of the south lakes one

nice flat family friendly cycle route. you can hire bikes in Keswick

Blowninonabreeze Mon 14-Mar-16 14:36:30

rheged also often has events etc or worth a visit especially in poor weather

starfish8 Mon 14-Mar-16 15:54:35

Thanks for the tips I'll take a look. Are there any other train trip options other than the one I mentioned e.g. Haverthwaite or Ravenglass?

Blowninonabreeze Mon 14-Mar-16 15:56:49

3 daughters. Very little in the way of train interest I'm afraid! So no experience.

Lilymaid Mon 14-Mar-16 16:02:46

When are you going? At the moment the A591 (the main north south road through the Lakes) is being repaired after parts were washed away during the winter floods.

Jenijena Mon 14-Mar-16 16:04:36

ILs come from north west lakes/coast. A sunny day trip to silloth, or an ice cream and a paddle at allonby, or the Roman museum at Maryport, all make a different sort of day/afternoon out from north lakes.

starfish8 Mon 14-Mar-16 16:42:02

We're only coming in September, I've checked this afternoon and they are hoping to have the route open by May so even with delays we'd be ok.

Just been having a browse this afternoon and so much of the accommodation looks really old fashioned/stuffy - Hmph! I guess I'd be swayed to either Keswick or central Lakes as much dependance on a nice modern accommodation.

We stayed in a lovely one bed barn near Kendal a couple of years ago. It was really nice to be 'detached' and away from everyone else, though I regretted only having one bedroom haha!

www.lakelovers.co.uk/property/dove-tail-barn/

loopsngeorge Tue 15-Mar-16 17:20:51

I love Keswick and think it would be a really good base with young kids. Grasmere is lovely, but there is a lot less there. There are some really nice modern timeshare type apartments I think in Keswick, that have access to a swimming pool. Sorry, I will try and dig out the name of them....

starfish8 Wed 16-Mar-16 09:59:36

Loopsngeorge - Thanks. I think we've been to Grasmere once and I do remember there not being much there.

I guess we're toying with being in/near Keswick vs being near Ambleside (more central to get to various places.

heron98 Wed 23-Mar-16 16:24:48

The road is not going to open until May so unless you want a massive detour you will have to stay in the north Lakes for the duration of your trip if you go to Keswick.

There is lots to do though. The town has lots of activities and you can access the west coast from there too.

Dowser Sat 26-Mar-16 22:53:54

Castlerigg stone circle above Keswick is awesome.

Newes Sat 26-Mar-16 22:58:02

Hawkshead is a good base for at least 3 of your list. Try Lakeland Hideaways for unstuffy cottages.

Blu Wed 06-Apr-16 10:20:16

From Keswick you can also reach the Rheged Centre between Penrith and Ullswater, which has children's activities, shows etc, drive down the side of Ullswater to Glenridding for the Glenridding Steamer (get off at Howtown, for minnow fishing under the little bridge and Pooley Bridge for tea and cake, and back on again) or rowing boats or a little motor boat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now