Advanced search

Travel documents for child with single parent (child has name change by deed poll)

(7 Posts)
strongswans Sun 06-Mar-16 20:17:19

Evening all,

I am travelling to Australia with ds (10) to visit cousins. DS has my surname on his passport, his Father has PR but no contact from November last year. I normally travel to Europe and don't take any additional permissions but used to take a copy of birth cert as DS previously had ex's surname, changed by deed poll to mine with permission last year. I know Australia can be different so I a have a signed letter of permission from ex with a copy of his passport, details of flights on it. Would you still take copy of birth cert and deed poll to be safe? I don't want to get there and have problems although can't see it with him having my surname and permission.


Toffeelatteplease Thu 10-Mar-16 09:10:27

Take everything just to be on the safe side

mummymeister Thu 10-Mar-16 10:27:06

photocopy everything before you go and put it on a stick plus take everything with you.

strongswans Thu 10-Mar-16 20:20:59

Thank you both, everything is photo copied and in a folder, seriously organised! Mummymeister hadn't thought about a back up, I'll do that too, Thank You!

Toffeelatteplease Thu 10-Mar-16 20:26:36

Better to have it as some form of online storage (that you can also access on your phone). But definitely take the originals

The only time I have been properly stopped turned out i had accidentally not brought original it was a record of registration or something like that. It was not fun, I was thoroughly told off.

strongswans Thu 10-Mar-16 20:47:51

Thanks toffee so would you take original birth cert? I have a legal copies of the deed poll so that will be fine but didn't like the thought of taking originals. Years back I got asked if ds was mine coming back into the UK and a copy of the birth cert was okay. That was when we had different surnames. I will take the letter that his Father gave as permission for the name change too.

Toffeelatteplease Fri 11-Mar-16 06:54:38

Yes I take originals, although one birth certificate is a certified copy issued by the official registrar as I thought I had lost one . In my case I take their birth certificates and my divorce and deed poll. I actually keep them on a little plastic folder that goes straight from lock box to travel bag and vice versa.

Although I should imagine as you have the same surname it would be fine. DC don't and when I travel with DP he has a different surname again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now