Talk

Advanced search

La Rochelle area recommendations please

(7 Posts)
OhGood Sun 06-Mar-16 10:15:45

Hello all - we have a week to spend in the area, 2 kids (6 and 3 then). Initially looked at Il de Re but apparently it's expensive for day-to-day living - food shopping etc.

Are we better off on the mainland?

And does anyone have recommendations as to where in the area we should be? We'd like to be close to / on the beach.

Thanks.

Lovewhereilive Sun 06-Mar-16 22:43:30

We did Ile de Re then La Palmyre (just up from Royan). Ile de Re was good for bike riding but did find it a bit quiet. We preferred the mainland.

OhGood Mon 07-Mar-16 09:17:29

love was there a big difference in how much you were spending day to day on the island v mainland?

Dowser Wed 09-Mar-16 13:22:48

Ile doleron was very nice and there was no bridge tax when I was there. Quite a while ago. There was a nice zoo near Royan if I remember correctly.

La rochelle was lovely. We stayed in the Pierre and vacances studio/ hotel.

Loved the street entertainment in the port on a night.

I bought 5 or 6 pictures from a street artist there. The ones they do with spray paint. I've never seen any to match his talent.

He even did one to my recommendation. It's fantastic. I was going to get rid of them a few years ago but I can't bear to. They have a really dark quality about them that I love.

frenchfancy Wed 09-Mar-16 14:14:41

I don't think the food shopping would be that much more on the island, though the restaurants are. If you want to be near the beach what about La Tranche sur Mer. On the mainland, nice beaches, nice little town.

OhGood Sun 13-Mar-16 15:54:44

Thank you so much for recommendations, will look into.

legoqueen Wed 30-Mar-16 22:06:05

The Ile De Re is gorgeous, there are supermarkets and a covered market in St Martin & I don't remember them being particularly expensive. There are some pricey restaurants but you can avoid those. The beaches are fabulous, really unspoilt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now