We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Things for older children to do on the plane besides iPads.

(25 Posts)
NickNacks Sat 05-Mar-16 14:17:22

In a few weeks we have a 4 hour flight followed by a 2 hour transfer. It's mostly overnight so I'm hoping they will sleep for a bit but just in case they don't....

We have iPads each and I have sticker books, colouring packs and snap cards for dd (5) but wondered if anyone had seen anything interesting and similar for ds's aged 12 and 9, an up to date puzzle book perhaps!

If they are on the iPads the whole time I'm worried they won't sleep!

TIA

KathyBeale Sat 05-Mar-16 14:18:23

Erm, read a book?!

NickNacks Sat 05-Mar-16 14:26:24

They will definitely have books, I was hoping to surprise them with something a bit different.

originalmavis Sat 05-Mar-16 14:29:29

They will be plugged into the TV!

NickNacks Sat 05-Mar-16 14:33:47

Ok never mind. I'll have a look on Amazon.

mumofblueeyes Sat 05-Mar-16 14:35:40

Hi Nick Nacks. I have done lots of long flights with my s

BarefootAcrossHotLegoPieces Sat 05-Mar-16 14:37:49

The five year old may sleep a bit, the other two may not, given disturbance for food and drinks.

You can get magnetic scrabble if they cAn be trusted not to lose the pieces (ipad scrabble may be safer!)

mumofblueeyes Sat 05-Mar-16 14:42:10

Oops. Pressed send too soon. I have done quite a lot of flights with my son aged 10. We are off to India in a few weeks so will have 10 hours then. I tend to find he just wants to play with the TV/Games console provided by the airline. He also likes to buy a Beano at the airport. When he was younger I used to do a weird 'freezer bag' or tin of random items from around the house - little Lego men, individual sweet, tiny car, cracker gifts etc. Strangely used to keep him entertained for hours! Good luck smile

MimsyBorogroves Sat 05-Mar-16 15:06:04

Quizkids magazine for puzzles.

The Phoenix is another good magazine - comic strips.

There are books on drawing your own comics/writing your own stories with bits to fill in, or one of those wreck this journals?

OnlyHereForTheCamping Sat 05-Mar-16 16:32:58

Why make work for yourself,thank fuck for iPads!

Toffeelatteplease Sat 05-Mar-16 19:36:53

Paper and pencil games like dots, sprouts, and battle ships. Amazing what you can do with a square lined exercise book!

Kirriemuir Sun 06-Mar-16 00:30:56

Just use iPads. It's only 4 hours.

stitch10yearson Sun 06-Mar-16 00:32:00

whatever adults do? at 12 and 9 they are capable of doing so

Archduke Sun 06-Mar-16 00:37:38

4 hrs isn't that long . . .

Film
eat
snooze
loo
read
ipad
squabble with siblings
tv show

All over.

LeaLeander Sun 06-Mar-16 00:38:37

Don't they read books?!

mouldycheesefan Sun 06-Mar-16 00:53:43

They watch films. 4 hours is short it's no issue. If they don't sleep much one night, no biggie. Presumably not big time difference so no jet lag.
Took my five year olds in 17 hour flight they slept a bit, watched tv etc. We don't t no to take games and toys etc as not much room in hand baggage. it's all on the iPad and they take book or kindle. Down,lad loads of stuff. Take headphones.

cathcustardtart Sun 06-Mar-16 16:46:38

IME all DC are glued to the IFE and the horrid meals.

mrsmortis Mon 07-Mar-16 08:38:23

We always buy a magazine/comic airside. That keeps them entertained until we are in the air. And a pack of cards can be a lifesaver because there are so many games to be played.

Hersetta427 Mon 07-Mar-16 09:46:43

A wordsearch book - my nearly 9 yr old likes them.

Toffeelatteplease Mon 07-Mar-16 11:20:48

Don't they read books?!

Nope not all bright 9 and 12 year old in their spare time choose to read a book.

originalmavis Mon 07-Mar-16 15:53:15

On my last (8hr which ended up longer because if a storm) flight with my ten year old he: looked out the window, read the in-flight magazine, watched the safety display, drank orange juice, ate terrible dinner, ate terrible breakfast, chatted to the crew, watched a kids comedy show, asked me a million questions, did a puzzle book, napped for about 2 minutes... 4 hours will go very quickly.

noramum Mon 07-Mar-16 16:15:29

I normally insist that DD (8.5) reads apart form the ipad and a movie (or two). She also likes to listen to audiobooks and music so I stock an old iphone with several options and let her sit, listen and dream.

merseyside Mon 07-Mar-16 16:27:09

I bought DD a bribe gift which I knew she really wanted, wrapped and hid it and gave it to her on the plane.

She played with it for hours, and the entire holiday afterwards!

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 07-Mar-16 16:49:48

Hangman?

Worth having some non tech stuff in case of flight delays and battery death of doooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm

PatriciaHolm Tue 08-Mar-16 19:18:12

Will they play cards together? or Top Trumps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now