Talk

Advanced search

May City Break

(17 Posts)
SoThatHappened Fri 26-Feb-16 22:00:31

Anyone have any recommendations for a European City Break in the first week in May.

Likely to be alone and a 2 nighter. Out on Friday late afternoon.

holeinmyheart Sat 27-Feb-16 09:15:49

Berlin.... Has to be Berlin. Very easy to get around. Very clean, very organised and lots to see. Amazing Art Gallery, shops, Holocaust Museum, and everything works.
Rome is fab. Make sure that you stay near the train Station which is central. Then you can walk to most things. Nice weather in May. You have to see the Sistine Chapel... The Botticelli's are to die for. I nearly had an orgasm looking at them. I was plotting how I could get one out under my coat but they are enormous. The Italians are the most amazingly artistic people on earth,

Costacoffeeplease Sat 27-Feb-16 09:17:50

Lisbon - quite small, good transport, lots to see and great restaurants - also good value

SoThatHappened Sat 27-Feb-16 12:15:03

Ok. I went to Rome when I was 14 so due a trip back potentially.

Lisbon I agree is great, but I've been there.

Berlin....never been.

Hmm not sure.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 27-Feb-16 12:23:45

Ok - maybe tell us where you've already been to save wasting your time

holeinmyheart Sat 27-Feb-16 16:21:04

Pompei area... Very interesting..... Paris, Cologne, Carcassonne, Prague,
What are your interests? History, Science, Art ?
Give us a clue.
I like Zurich. The Swiss are not particularly friendly but the place is very very clean, the coffee and cake shop in the Main Street in Zurich is to die for. Lots to see. I think James Joyce is buried in the Graveyard if I remember rightly. I may be mixing it up with Basle. Basle is also nice.
Baden Baden.....that is lovely. You can drink the disgusting water as it is a spa.

SoThatHappened Sat 27-Feb-16 23:49:23

Ive been to:

Paris
Rome
Barcelona
Brussels
Lisbon

Zurich sounds nice.

History, Science, Art ? Love all of those.

I'll be alone probably so somewhere friendly would be nice,

I was thinking Reykjavik so I could go to the Blue Lagoon but bloody expensive.

MaryRobinson Sat 27-Feb-16 23:52:22

History, Science, Art .... Another vote for Basel assuming you don't want to go back to Paris.

Onykahonie Sun 28-Feb-16 10:34:51

How about Amsterdam?

SoThatHappened Sun 28-Feb-16 15:20:27

Amsterdam is cool! Definitely on the list.

Pompei area... I missed that suggestion. How doable is that or would I need more time? How far is it from Naples.

SoThatHappened Sun 28-Feb-16 15:24:52

I love archaeology and Pompeii would be amazing

MyHovercraftIsFullOfEels Sun 28-Feb-16 21:01:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

holeinmyheart Mon 29-Feb-16 18:56:09

Pompei is very near Naples and not so far from Rome. I took a train from the Amalfi coast to Rome..... Absolutely easy.
My friend who lives in Italy inland from Ancona, says the weather ATM is lovely.
Unlike us as we have just had a flood warning. Drat.

sara11272 Mon 29-Feb-16 19:00:44

Valencia is lovely. So is Palma - both should be nice and warm then too. Athens? Prague is gorgeous, not so sure on weather in May. Budapest is meant to be lovely too though never been.

wickedwaterwitch Mon 29-Feb-16 19:03:38

Venice is beautiful, there's nowhere like it
Lots of beautiful art and architecture

Prague also great

SoThatHappened Mon 29-Feb-16 20:07:15

I think Ive decided on Italy.

naples and Pompei or venice. Maybe 2 nights not enough for Naples?

holeinmyheart Mon 29-Feb-16 21:05:28

There are several sites relating to the destruction of the whole area by Vesuvius. One at Pompei and the museum in Naples are worth going to. The name of it escapes me.
The Museum is worth going to as there are no bodies or many artefacts left in Pompei. They have done some reconstruction though. Anyway I found the whole area fascinating.
I also went to Capri which is just a short hop from the coast.
Venice is also stunning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now