Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know the Cote d'Azur/Monaco area well?

(9 Posts)
DreamingofTuscany Thu 25-Feb-16 14:24:36

DH, DS (7) and I are off on hols for a week to Frejus in the Cote D'Azur (between Cannes and St Tropez). We used airmiles to book, so don't have a flight back from Nice until the next day, so I thought it would be a good time to visit Monaco as DH wants to take DS there.

Can anyone recommend a good place to look for a hotel? It just needs to be a place to sleep as we will have done swimming pools, etc. and will be out making the most of our last days.

Thanks for any ideas.

Gowgirl Thu 25-Feb-16 14:25:56

You may find it much cheaper to book in nice, the train takes about 20 minutes into Monaco.

Gowgirl Thu 25-Feb-16 14:27:28

Frejus and San Raphael are beautiful though have a wonderful time.....I'm green with envy!

DreamingofTuscany Thu 25-Feb-16 16:20:24

Thanks Gowgirl. I haven't been for 20 odd years so am looking forward to it.

Joneseygirl77 Thu 25-Feb-16 20:23:36

Yes Nice might be a better option and you can get the train there. Slightly cheaper option too than staying in Monaco. Villefranche sur mer is a lovely little village in between nice and monaco.

We've only stayed in apartments in Nice but you can get some good mid range hotels. Nice train station is about a 20min walk from old town/ main centre area.

Enjoy lovely part of the world!

revealall Sat 27-Feb-16 18:06:11

I agree with everyone re taking the train. Monaco train station alone makes it worthwhile and the train follows the sea- spectacular. Nice and Beaulieu are both cheaper and Villefranche sur Mer is just the nicest holiday place. It reminds me off a French expensive Isle of Wight!
You can take the same train all the way into Italy. The whole journey from Nice is under an hour. It's not the prettiest town but it's fun to suddenly switch from French to Italian and there is a huge market on Fridays ( one of the few places I found toys for children).

DreamingofTuscany Tue 01-Mar-16 21:11:53

Thanks, I just saw the new replies. Off to google!

Dowser Thu 03-Mar-16 22:27:11

I did the train from Cannes to Ventimiglia. Just stunning.

We stayed at Pierre and vacances in St Raphael.

Bit loud and noisy but was a nice base. Love all that area. Cannes, st tropez, Monaco, Antibes, Juan les pins, grasse.

Would love to go back also.

France is another beautiful and diverse country.

Dowser Thu 03-Mar-16 22:30:01

Loved the market in ventimiglia, so cheap too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now