Zika in USA

(13 Posts)
DuneBugg Wed 17-Feb-16 17:06:26

Looking for some advice, WWYD?

My partner and I are TTC. We have not had much any success but have only been trying for a few months.

We have a holiday booked to Florida in just a couple of weeks.

I had a routine GP appointment and the GP freaked out, told me not to travel, because of Zika.

Now I don't know what to do.

Here's what I know:

1. There have been no local cases of Zika in Florida to date.

2. However Florida does have the mosquitos which could carry Zika.

3. However Florida also has one of the best mosquito prevention programs in the world.

4. We have travelled before and not found ourselves bitten.

The matter is complicated by these facts:

1. We are travelling with another family. We don't feel its fair to pass our share of the cost of the villa to them if we can't go, especially at such short notice.

2. We have non-refundable flights, which cost us over £1000.

3. We do not want to stop TTC.

4. The other family do not know we are TTC. I am very reluctant to tell them.

What would you do? I don't feel I should travel against my GPs advice but technically Florida is not an affected area.

BananaDaiquiri Thu 18-Feb-16 09:26:15

I would go. But it needs to be your decision. what does your DH think?

girlywhirly Thu 18-Feb-16 10:08:39

I would go and stop TTC for the time being. A break might make all the difference to your success. Can you afford to lose your money and upset the other family? Take all the usual precautions against being bitten by any insects.

I'm a bit surprised by your Dr's reaction unless you are having assisted conception.

lljkk Thu 18-Feb-16 10:12:19

I would stop TTC until about 6 weeks after we got back*, & go & have a break from TTC & not have to worry about all that stuff.

TTC was never very important to me, though. So really is your decision.

*assuming your DH has no symptoms by then.

VertigoNun Thu 18-Feb-16 10:16:56

Unless you couldn't cope caring for a child with additional needs then I don't see the problem.

Fourormore Thu 18-Feb-16 10:17:56

I would also stop TTC for a few weeks.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 18-Feb-16 10:18:20

Personally I would still go. The chances of contracting zika in Florida are so remote. If I didn't want to stop ttc I would carry on and know that if I did conceive and in the unlikely event I got zika that it would be picked up on scan in this country and I would have a termination.

specialsubject Thu 18-Feb-16 12:35:51

unless you are in the middle of fertility treatment, what's the issue with using contraception from now until a month or so after the trip, just to be ultra-sure?

DuneBugg Thu 18-Feb-16 15:49:18

The issue is that, if you do contract Zika, you most likely won't know. We could use a condom, but how long for? Some institutions are recommending up to 6 months after return from travel. So that would put our TTC back considerably.

We can afford to lose the money. We just won't go on holiday this year.
We have waited a long time to TTC and have not had any luck so far. I am reluctant to stop trying.

ditsygal Thu 18-Feb-16 16:02:15

I am pregnant and have a holiday booked for Florida in May. I do think the chances of getting zika in florida are going to be tiny even if it does get transmitted locally there (which it has not been yet).
Originally we thought we would cancel, but now I am going to wait and see, and if its still not transmitted locally by the time we go I think we will go and take extra precautions against getting bitten.
When the chikungunya virus struck florida (a similar virus by the same mosquitos) in 2014 there were 12 locally transmitted cases. If zika was similar this would put your odds of being infected at such a tiny rate that you would be more at risk of a car crash etc.
But obviously each person has to make there own choice. I am going to follow the CDC advice, and at the moment they aren't suggesting that anyone should limit travel to florida, pregnant or not.
Good luck though on making the decision! its not an easy one x

NewYearSameMe Thu 18-Feb-16 16:05:58

You might not be sure whether you have caught zika, but you would know whether or not you have been bitten. If it was me, I would use condoms during the holiday and a good insect repellant and if I get home without having been bitten then I would go back to TTC.

ShiftyFades Sat 20-Feb-16 13:35:30

I'm severely allergic to mosquito bites (anaphylaxis and carry adrenaline). I've been to Florida 4 times and have never been bitten.

I use Boots Soltan sun cream with insect repellent and their after sun with repellent.

I've taken Jungle Formula extra strength repellent too but haven't used that the last 2 times (it is so strong it makes dye from carrier bags come off on your legs shock)

These last 2 times were in April and August (first 2 were December and September).

Use that and condoms for a couple of months, I'd go.

mummymeister Mon 22-Feb-16 15:29:02

the difference between Chik and Zika though is the effect on the unborn child. you can spray and cover up as much as possible and still get bitten.

most people with Zike have a sub clinical infection - that is they have the disease but no or very mild symptoms. it would mean being blood tested when you come back just to be sure.

personally I would either stop ttc or not go. I don't think doing both is really an option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now