Talk

Advanced search

France on the ferry or tunnel? Help!

(7 Posts)
chicaguapa Mon 15-Feb-16 12:25:10

We're going to go to France this summer but can't decide whether to get the ferry or pay a little bit more for the tunnel. Usually we do the latter as we value the shorter waiting times and more trains. But I'm vaguely aware that there were lots of delays on the tunnel last summer.

Or maybe we'd be better off avoiding Calais and going to Dunkirk (longer crossing and further to drive in France) or avoiding Dover too and doing Newhaven to Dieppe (another £100).

I can't decide what to do! What have other people decided?

Wellthatsit Mon 15-Feb-16 12:31:56

it depends where you live re Newhaven option. I never regret paying a bit more for an easier journey. We have driven to the Alps the last two years and did Dover Calais both times (live in scotland). The driving was long, boring and at time stressful, and Dover was really delayed last year due to all the lorries getting stuck on the motorway with tunnel problems. This year we are taking the Eurostar to Lyon and then hiring a car. Am really hoping g it will be more relaxing! We also looked into Newcastle to Amsterdam but the timings didn't work. not sure if that's an option for you.

chicaguapa Mon 15-Feb-16 12:42:43

Thanks. We're in Southampton so Dover/ Folkestone/ Newhaven are all pretty much of a muchness. And we're going to Paris so likewise with most of the ports in France.

cattypussclaw Mon 15-Feb-16 12:55:16

Maybe not particularly helpful if you're going to Paris but we did Portsmouth-Bilbao to get to the south of France last year and it was lovely.

Wellthatsit Mon 15-Feb-16 13:17:05

I would definitely do Newhaven to Dieppe in that case OP. Easier than Dover and a nicer landing point. Dieppe is quite nice to stop in for a bit... The drive to Paris is probably nicer too.

MarieJeanne Mon 15-Feb-16 13:25:40

How about doing Portsmouth to Caen or Le Havre?

PolovesTubbyCustard Wed 17-Feb-16 13:37:52

Another vote for Newhaven to Dieppe.

It is a bit longer. Can be more pricey but you are closer to your french destination.

Also both of the ports are smaller so less queuing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now