Talk

Advanced search

US visa

(6 Posts)
MrChow Sun 14-Feb-16 14:58:13

Not sure if anyone has similar experiences but whilst I'm awaiting a response from the US embassy thought I'd ask here..

Other half got into trouble 15 years ago - nil since. We went to America a few years ago and he had to firstly do the whole embassy (who said no) appeal and then after his application was sent off we had a visa granted for one year. We travelled all was well, we'd like to go again this summer but unsure of the whole process again. The embassy website is vague on this, and I've emailed and it's taking weeks. Obviously we can't book anything until we know but in the back of my mind I'm thinking that if we have to wait 6m again we won't be able to go confused

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

VimFuego101 Sun 14-Feb-16 15:03:21

If the crime is a 'crime of moral turpitude' then yes, the visa is necessary and will likely take 6 months or so. The BritishExpats USA forum has some posts from people who've a) needed help identifying whether their offense was a CIMT and b) posted about their experience and the wait times.

originalmavis Sun 14-Feb-16 15:04:26

Can you try to get your esta and see what happens? it's fairly quick and should flag up any issues.

mummymeister Sun 14-Feb-16 18:07:54

speak to the embassy in the first person and make sure there is full disclosure from you about what the trouble was and that you have had a visa before.

they have cracked down recently so think it worth looking on the forum that Vim suggests. at least he got in last time. I have a friend who didn't.

originalmavis Sun 14-Feb-16 18:11:02

It's really hard to get through to a person at the embassy.

MrChow Sun 14-Feb-16 18:28:32

Yes it is. I've messaged them on Facebook and they suggested sending an email which I did, nil reply. I messaged them via Facebook again and they've said they'll look into it for me but I'm not sure what will come of it. I'll look on the expats forum thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now