Talk

Advanced search

Abroad over Christmas? Somewhere warm. A good idea?

(13 Posts)
lynholmerpark Fri 12-Feb-16 09:24:35

Morning all,

After a few 'difficult' Christmas's, am considering (myself, DH and DC 11&13) going abroad somewhere over the festive period this year.

DD would like to go somewhere hot (personally late 20's/early 30's is enough for us) with "turquoise sea and sandy beaches", though we aren't lazing on the beach type people. We usually go self-catering in France and are headed to Scandinavia this Summer. Balance of culture and relaxing is what I'm looking for, and I guess the ability to celebrate Christmas Day on the day itself.

Where have others been/any recommendations? If you've done likewise, how have you found being away over the festive period as am concerned DC might feel they're missing out, despite being away.

Many thanks.

girlywhirly Fri 12-Feb-16 10:33:09

I've never been away anywhere abroad for Christmas, but it sounds as though you will need to go long haul for those temps.

lynholmerpark Fri 12-Feb-16 11:14:59

Yes happy to go long haul for temperatures. Really wanted recommendations as only done long haul/far afield without kids to Nepal and working in Ghana

mouldycheesefan Fri 12-Feb-16 11:25:35

Great idea but Xmas is very very expensive to go away although I think cheaper if you fly on Xmas day.
Caribbean seems best option. Mexico is cheaper than the islands.

lynholmerpark Fri 12-Feb-16 12:02:06

Thank you mouldycheesefan, interesting that much cheaper to fly on Christmas Day but makes sense. Not sure DC be too keen on that and airline food instead on Christmas Dinner though!

Will have a look at Mexico, lots of culture there too, thanks for your suggestion.

mummymeister Fri 12-Feb-16 18:23:05

We went to Belize over Christmas. yes it was expensive but it was worth it. it has everything you are looking for - the temperature, the mayan ruins and temples, the beaches, watersports, jungle, adventure the lot. I could go on - swimming with rays and sharks, snorkelling, howler monkey following in the jungle, manatee spotting, crocodile conservation late at night. my kids loved it. it had everything. message me for details. oh and they speak English as its a former dependent terriotory and you don't need malarials or many jabs.

lynholmerpark Fri 12-Feb-16 20:01:08

Wow mummymeister that sounds incredible, plus no jabs - great! Though I'm uptodate the thought of DC having to have them doesn't fill me with relish. I'll message you for more info.

ShanghaiDiva Sun 14-Feb-16 09:10:41

I spent last Xmas day on a plane and we just celebrated the next day. As we live in China it didn't really make any difference to us as it's a normal working day here and the flight was cheaper.
Warm weather options - Thailand, HK (cooler - low 20s), Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos - all great for culture and relaxation and great food!

ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Sun 14-Feb-16 16:23:12

Cape Town is a brilliant Xmas destination. Flights are not cheap but it is easy to rent an apartment at a decent price (the exchange rate is great at the moment) and there is tons to do as well as great beaches and fabulous restaurants. Look to rent in Camps Bay or Clifton with the V&A waterfront as a cheaper option.

lynholmerpark Sun 14-Feb-16 21:41:50

Thank you both, great ideas there.

ScienceRocks Sun 14-Feb-16 21:52:02

We did Christmas in Australia one year. It was fabulous. The DDs (then 4 and 8yo) were no problem at all on the long flights (two 11 hour flights each way), no immunisations needed, really warm and sunny, beautiful beaches... Couldn't recommend it more, to be honest, as it was everything I hoped for and then some.

BananaDaiquiri Thu 18-Feb-16 16:34:20

Anywhere in the Caribbean would be fine for temp, but obviously very popular for Christmas so may be dear. We went to Barbados a few years ago on a "relaxing beach holiday" with the plan to do nothing for a week (as we had been to South Africa for 3 weeks earlier in the year which had been very active with lots of travelling and not one beachy day). But we were surprised that there was plenty to do there in addition to beach and sea, so I wouldn't discount the Caribbean as the more touristy islands certainly do have a lot more to offer (in addition to) the beautiful sea and beach. How about Cuba? Or moving away from the Caribbean a little, how about Costa Rica? we went a few years ago and loved it, so much wildlife and would be a great destination for families I would think (though we went before having DC).

lynholmerpark Thu 18-Feb-16 17:04:36

Thank you pp's for more great ideas. Certainly plenty of food for thought and we'll definitely need something more relaxing after our summer break which is looking pretty full on right now x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now