Can someone advise me on luggage allowance Etc please ?

(47 Posts)
Tinkerbellx Tue 09-Feb-16 15:19:38

Thanks
I'm taking myself and two DC on holiday .
We have 10kg hand luggage per person .
Optional extra is hold nav with weight limit of 15kg and this will be charged at £26 per bag EACH WAY !
So that's £52 each x 3 £ 156 for our bags ?
Do we all need hold bags ?
Thanks

specialsubject Tue 09-Feb-16 17:36:13

more importantly, who is going to carry all that clutter? You don't need 25kg of luggage unless you are emigrating.

do a trial pack and see. Remember not to use cases with dead weight, i.e. wheels and handles.

Toffeelatteplease Tue 09-Feb-16 20:58:27

Where are you going and how long for? Are your priorities keeping cost down or hands free at airport? Are one other or both kids old enough to roll and roller suitcase? Are you happy to travel light?

Assuming you are going for a week or less and are happy to travel reasonably light, my guess is you could do it
1) hand luggage only - three maximum dimensions bags. However unless you spend an awful lot on bags you will need at least one child to be able to carry (roll) one bag. If only one clod can you will need a back pack. Check out whether your airline also allows a second "personal" bag, makes it easier with passports etc
2) one item of large hold luggage. One large carry on
3) two hold luggage. Hands free through the airport

Toffeelatteplease Tue 09-Feb-16 21:00:25

Yes definitely pack it ahead to see how in goes and if you don't use all of your hand luggage allowance take and folding bag to accommodate any excess (like souvenirs) coming home

Tinkerbellx Tue 09-Feb-16 21:40:24

Thanks all .
Toffee I'm taking ds 13 and ds 6 and we're going to Spain for 10 days .
They're both more than capable of carrying something .
Trying to keep cost down but really have no idea re what would be ok .
So .... We all can have inc anyway a small carry on 10 kg each OR I can combine this up to 30 kg and take one large onto the plane ??
I can pay on top for 15 kg each to go hold all at £52 pp but one would be enough ?
So I'll just pay for me to have a 15 kg bag which goes into holding ?

Sorry Ive never done this alone or for years !

logfiresspit Tue 09-Feb-16 21:46:31

you can't combine - it needs to be 3 small bags.
I reckon 10kg each is enough in the summer. Or if you're not sure it will be, then just one extra bag should be fine. No need AT ALL for one each!

RudyMentary Tue 09-Feb-16 21:53:13

We only ever take hand luggage.
Most people take far too much stuff.

You can't combine - you need 3 seperate bags and there will be size as well as weight restrictions.

AandAmom Tue 09-Feb-16 22:09:39

Buy the lightest carry on luggage you can, wear your heaviest shoes to travel and just take one other pair. If your self catering bound to be a washing machine and usually towels included. Buy all of your toiletries out in Spain. We do two weeks on 10kg each hand luggage and I tend to wear lots of Navy & White so can mix and match. If the kids moan treat it as a challenge and promise to buy them anything they need that they haven't got in Spain....I guarantee once they are out in the sun they won't need anymore than you have taken. Have a great holidaysmile

rookiemere Tue 09-Feb-16 22:13:05

Who are you travelling with?

If it's not Ryanair, then most airlines don't charge any more than it would have cost originally to add a bag on. Therefore what I'd do is see what you need - see how much you can fit into hand luggage - 10kg is quite generous, but most airlines only allow that to be one bag of certain dimensions per person, so you need to think what DCs need on the plane and what they'll want to bring.

One bag should be doable for you and 2 DCs. I've only booked one bag for our hols this year and that's two adults and 1 DS - may end up paying for another, we'll see how we go. Worst case scenario you pay for two.

Toffeelatteplease Wed 10-Feb-16 08:27:50

Without doubt I would go three handbaggage.

Usually not combinable. Read your airline carriers handbaggage info really carefully as to size and dimensions etc. Do check whether you can bring a small personal bag

Ive found these really good for easyjet and fantastic value for money. They are not top notch but roll adequately, are pretty sturdy and are about as much interior space as you can get in a rolling suitcase! But you may decide IT luggage better given the weight restrictions. I would either get three roller suitcases or 2 suitcases and one "cabin max" style back pack

Toffeelatteplease Wed 10-Feb-16 08:31:53

Bother we have the ones without the back straps! The brand is Frenzy on amazon.

Blu Wed 10-Feb-16 08:35:44

30kg between the 3 of you as hand baggage should be ok , but can the 6 yo manage ?
One issue with hand baggage is that you can only pack tiny amounts of toiletries incl sun cream because everything has to be taken through security.
Do you need to take a beach towel? Toys?
I would probably book one bag as checked in baggage and then use your hand luggage allowance for the rest. Make sure that one of your hand luggage bags is suitable as a beach bag / day out bag. (Or pack one!).

dementedpixie Wed 10-Feb-16 08:36:31

Remember the liquid rules if you only take hand luggage as they will have to be in bottles of 100mls or less and be able to fit in a 20cmx20cm clear bag. Each person can take one clear bag.

Toffeelatteplease Wed 10-Feb-16 08:55:21

As long as two of you can roll a suitcase you are fine with up to three suitcases. At pinch points 13 year old can roll two and you can roll one with a hand for the 6 year old, two hands if you have a backpack.

Whilst they say one per a person, it is waaay better to keep them everything that needs to be out for security together. So I had liquids in the little zip lock bags in a large clear zip file so I was only pulling out one item. All electronic equipment also went in a large zip file and both were stored in one of the outside pockets in the suitcase.

Spain I would definitely pick up suntan cream out there. I used solid shampoo and conditioner but I don't think this would be at all necessary for you.

dementedpixie Wed 10-Feb-16 09:00:55

Sun cream is always much more expensive abroad and brands can be limited.

Toffeelatteplease Wed 10-Feb-16 09:25:46

Unless it is fifty quid more expensive (or there are skin issues) sun tan cream wouldn't influence whether I went hand luggage only or not.

100ml is actually quite a lot. Eg. Boots Soltans' roller suntan cream comes in 75ml bottles, you could have two each (half that would easily last three of us over a year) and still another 800ml each spare. The liquid allowance really isn't a big deal, it really is an awful lot of liquid. It's more of a hassle making sure everything is packed in the right place for ease of access.

With hand luggage only it was coming back I found to be a bigger issue. I had less time to pack and had given less thought to where everything was

dementedpixie Wed 10-Feb-16 09:32:06

You are supposed to use 35mls for each application roughly so a 75ml bottle would last approx 1 day! I would take at least 1 hold luggage as you will need other toiletries too apart from suncream. Or buy all your toiletries at boots after security.

Lweji Wed 10-Feb-16 09:43:14

I'd buy toiletries after security or there. Whatever more they cost it's cheaper than a whole other hold bag.
Hold bags can also be lost or delayed, so always worth taking cabin bags as much as possible.
Depending when you travel, you can easily wash and dry clothes the same day, so don't take lots of t-shirts or swimming costumes. Only one set of pjs if you wear them. Always take your heaviest items on you, even if hot. Jeans, sports shoes, coats. They won't complain if you carry coats. Limit toys. There will be other children with balls they can join.
Do make sure the bags fit the allowed measures. Ryanair can be quite strict. You can also get light backpacks with wheels for the children.

Lweji Wed 10-Feb-16 09:45:56

Also remember to pack less than the maximum for gifts and anything you buy there.
Pack the largest items and keep filling small empty spaces with smaller items like pants and socks, or rolled up t-shirts.

PolovesTubbyCustard Wed 10-Feb-16 09:52:15

I would just take hand luggage each - and one hold suitcase. Someone has to carry these cases - and you really do not need that much stuff unless you are my DM

If it is going to be warm - then lightweight tshirts etc don't take up much space. Kids can wear them more than once - who cares if they are a bit dirty.

Limit shoes - wear the heavier pair (trainers ? ) and pack sandals.

Don't bother with beach towels - buy out there and leave behind - or buy hammam towels - very lightweight.

sun lotion - buy Ultrasun or P20 - you can get it in the airport, or on board - Jet 2 sell it. (although they had sold out once when I tried to buy some). Smaller containers - and only applied once a day.

Me and DH went to Madrid for 6 nights in September- and took hand luggage only. I do sometimes take things that i don't really like - and bin them after wearing so I dont have to bring them home. ( underwear and tshirts usually). It may be that you could pack for your DC - and send the older tops and almost grown out of shorts - and throw them away rather than bring home again.

specialsubject Wed 10-Feb-16 12:06:21

don't bring back any gifts, the only thing you'll want is the food and it doesn't travel.

try to bring back less than you took, and try to take as little as possible.

I would also suggest buying a big bottle of suncream after security. Wear rash vests, board shorts, hats and coverups to reduce the area you need to cream up.

snowypenguin Wed 10-Feb-16 13:11:18

Unless you have access to a washing machine I'd take one case. My 6 year old could barely keep a t-shirt clean for half an hour in the restaurant at dinner so we needed quite a few changes of clothes for him. Sorry but I ain't handwashing on holiday.

snowypenguin Wed 10-Feb-16 13:12:01

Re the suncream thing. We go through a bottle a day for 3 of us so you are going to need more than a 75ml roll on.

simonettavespucci Wed 10-Feb-16 13:20:26

I'd take 10kg hand luggage each and then one piece of hold luggage between you for all liquids etc - yes, you can buy them there, but it's a hassle finding them in a place you don't know, plus you'd have to throw them out at the end of the holiday, which deuces the saving.

Don't forget to check whether you are allowed a 'personal item' as well as hand luggage - ryanair has recently change their policy on this, so you are allowed both, which is a blessing.

Diddlydokey Wed 10-Feb-16 13:31:20

Hand luggage is doable and faster - no checking in bags or waiting at the other end. Will the 6 year old need a car seat? Ryanair charges £10 each way for this.

We take one of these each. www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_36536+T43821_-1

Most airlines let you take one duty free carrier bag on with you. I buy smellies from the boots/superdrug after security as this saves space and I don't have to worry about the 100ml limit.

We all just take 3 pairs of shoes - sandals, flip flops for the pool and travel in trainers.

Last year we were in a villa with a washing machine but we didn't actually need it. We did come back with suitcases of clean clothes though.

DS takes his trunki and his little backpack which gets classed as Ryanair's personal item - this has his toys in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now