Talk

Advanced search

Advice for first holiday abroad with kids age 7 & 4

(9 Posts)
cybilfawlty Tue 09-Feb-16 09:59:05

This summer we are planning to going on our first holiday abroad since our eldest DD was born. Up til now we've stayed in the UK and gone to self catering cottages because it's easy to cater for the kids. We are looking for something that gives us the same kind of space (so an apartment or cottage as opposed to hotel room), somewhere warm and near a beach in Europe, but that is part of a resort or complex so we have a pool and a restaurant so I don't have to cook! Martinhal www.martinhal.com/sagres/en/ gets great reviews but is so expensive. Can anyone recommend anywhere like this, could be all inclusive. We're considering Eurocamp too (static homes, not tents, we're not up for camping), does anyone have any experience of this?

Dowser Tue 09-Feb-16 10:54:57

Well I was going to suggest la siesta hotel playa de las Americas Tenerife as I took my family there in September . They loved the hotel . Food was good. We were half board. Good children's activities. Fab pool with life guard. Gym. Ball pool.entertainment was really good and diverse...snakes one night,birds of prey etc.

There are lots of nice apartments there too. It just depends what you want really. As they only stayed in their rooms to sleep and they were decent sized rooms with fridge it wasn't a big deal breaker.

Five had one room, three in the other. Two boys in another. One of the five could have gone in with the other two boys but wouldn't .

Themar ola apartments might be worth looking at if you just want to do your own thing, which we do but felt for the little ones la siesta ticked all the boxes.

Dowser Tue 09-Feb-16 10:55:43

Mar ola!

Costacoffeeplease Tue 09-Feb-16 10:56:28

I live in Carvoeiro, a bit closer to faro than martinhal - happy to answer any questions if it's of interest?

Dowser Tue 09-Feb-16 10:58:33

Just seen your name Cyril fawlty. Love prunella scales and so sad Alzheimer's is claiming another lovely person.

cybilfawlty Tue 09-Feb-16 11:15:05

I know Dowser, a legendary character and actress! Thanks so much for the info on the hotel in Tenerife, I'll look it up.

Dowser Tue 09-Feb-16 11:48:59

Good. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I booked with Thomsons over a year in advance as it was for my wedding. I booked April 2014 for sept 2015 and it cost £4420 for ten people and three rooms for one weekhalfboard.

I didn't think that was too bad . Two children were classed as adults, 17 and 12. So 6 adults and 4 children . Youngest was 5 and boy could they eat.

I wouldn't be anything but honest with you. I was a bit disappointed that th bedrooms although clean, comfortable and well serviced had not. Been updated in three years since our last visit. I talking decor and furniture not cleanliness which was spot on.

It does have a spa which you can pay extra for. It has free wifi in thebar. It's lose to a bus route for Siam water park and Siam mall next door.

Theres a lovely monkey park just outside of Los cris that's well worth a visit. Only about 10 to twelve euro in a taxi and ten euro to get in and it's very, very good. Animals kept in good clean conditions. Large cages. You can walk through lizard, lemon, guinea pig and tortoise cage. We went there on the morning of the wedding. La siesta is in a lovely traffic calmed area. It has it's own childrenswingsbut next door to the hotel is a small centre with more swings and things. ( cheap booze there too.)

Straight out the hotel and twomins walk and you're at the beach. There's a good benettonretail outlet there as well as perfume outlets. Everything you want really.

There's a small supermarket over the road for water, ice creams etc.

You can take advantage of trips up mt teide Which is a must do for about 20 euros. There's boat trips to see the dolphins and whales.

My DH, son, sil and other wedding guests went parasailing and jet skiing . Had an amazing time. That was a birthday present for them from me.

Dowser Tue 09-Feb-16 11:51:05

Forgot to say we gotfreechild places on the first day they came out but it was over a year away.

Best holiday ( and wedding)I've ever had

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 09-Feb-16 11:58:45

A lots of self catering apartments are now part of all inclusive deals - just a change over for that market!!

It's want much more for all in - worked out about £20 each -

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now