Talk

Advanced search

Going to Disneyland Paris in April - any hints and tips please!

(22 Posts)
ehupmeduck Sat 06-Feb-16 13:21:02

Going to DLP on 4th April with dh, ds(10) and dd(7). Stopping in the Cheyenne and have booked standard half board plan. Have never been before - special treat for my birthday (big 40!!), think I am more excited than the kids! Anyway, any hints and tips please. Best places to eat, any hidden gems, rides/shows that will keep both ds and dd happy. Thanks in advance 😀

TurnOffTheTv Sat 06-Feb-16 13:23:06

If you join Disneyland for Brits on Facebook there is masses of info on there smile

ehupmeduck Sat 06-Feb-16 20:26:35

Thanks TurnOffTheTv - have just joined and found some really useful stuff already 😃

Helenluvsrob Sat 06-Feb-16 20:39:15

Wrap,up warm. It could be freezing!

HermioneWeasley Sat 06-Feb-16 20:44:52

The food is awful, and I'm not a food snob at all. The buffets are priced but generally offer more edible choices. Earl of sandwich in the village is ok. The tex mex place opposite thunder mountain is ok as is the ratatouille buffet.

Not sure there's such a thing as hidden gems in such a well known destination !

Enjoy yourselves

Girlsinthegarden Sun 07-Feb-16 07:48:01

Do the character meals to avoid the queues to see them at other times.

snowypenguin Sun 07-Feb-16 09:04:54

Lots of hidden things but it depends on how Disney you are. Special signage at peterpan being an example but it depends if it means anything to you! Lots of other hidden Mickey things.

Dinner at inventions. Don't miss the dragon.

Manopaws Sun 07-Feb-16 09:06:13

wear a bullet proof jacket!

No but seriously it's expensive take food with you if you can annd pretend your 10 again and you'll have a great time.

snowypenguin Sun 07-Feb-16 09:09:51

I find that distasteful manopaws.

TurnOffTheTv Sun 07-Feb-16 09:36:59

Really Manopaws? What a stupid post.

HermioneWeasley Sun 07-Feb-16 10:27:11

Forgot to say do NOT bother with cafe Mickey - utterly crap experience, food was awful, tiny over priced portions, just dreadful.

TeaT1me Sun 07-Feb-16 10:32:54

Cafe Mickey was my girls favourite part of the week. Yes crap food, noisy room to adults but we had a v cheap holiday (Jan) and just justified that we were paying for a couple of "experiences" while we were there. We personally preferred café reme but my small children truly loved having the characters in the restaurant with them and talk about it.

TeaT1me Sun 07-Feb-16 10:35:23

The stunt show in the studios is really worth making sure you see.

Ratatouille fast track tickets go early so make sure you get one early in jn the day

Similarly the Princess pavilion has a time you go to get a ticket. You need to be there before that time...then you come.back at the timeslot on the ticket.

doodlejump1980 Sun 07-Feb-16 10:39:41

Don't go on the Star Wars simulation ride if you suffer from motion sickness envy < vom face

Granard Mon 08-Feb-16 14:52:00

The Disneyland Paris Forum on Trip Advisor is worth a visit. Lots of good advice and the destination expert - Figgygirl - is really helpful and knowledgeable.

If you want to have a break in the afternoon and don't want to walk back to the Cheyenne hotel, the lounge in the Disneyland Hotel is nice. The side door to the hotel is beside the turnstiles and you go up the big staircase and it's to your left. It's more expensive for a hot chocolate than other places in the park but but it's lovely to sit for a while and relax. Also, the characters tend to make an appearance in the foyer in the afternoon and it's generally quiet so good opportunity to get photographs/autographs.

If you want to do character dining, I would recommend Inventions in the DL Hotel. Expensive but the buffet is very good and there are lots of opportunities for character interaction.

It's also worth getting up for Extra Magic Hours one morning. If you can be at the turnstiles for 8, you'll have the opportunity to go on several rides without having to queue.

If you decide to go to the Val d'Europe shopping centre to shop or go to one of the restaurants there or the supermarket, there is a shuttle bus that collects at the Disney hotels and takes you to the Outlet (La Vallee village). The concierge in your hotel will arrange for the bus to collect you. You can then walk through car park to VdE. When you want to go back, you go to the information desk in the Outlet and they arrange for the bus to collect you for the return.

Have a great time.

Granard Mon 08-Feb-16 14:54:41

The other thing I would recommend is to check out the cost of a private transfer from Charles de Gaulle. I think it's worth the cost rather than taking the bus or the train and with 4 of you, it might be just as cheap.

I paid 65 euro each way for 2 people on our recent trip. We used Inter Shuttle Prestige. You'll find other recommended companies on Trip Advisor.

Floralnomad Mon 08-Feb-16 15:02:20

I must disagree , the stunt show in the studios is an hour of your life you will never get back , spend it doing anything else in the Studios , absolutely anything ,it really is dire . Use the extra hours , use fast passes where possible , go to the Buffalo Bill show , agree with pp about the Fantasia cafe in the Pink Palace - it's the best place for afternoon tea .Check which rides are closed before you go to avoid disappointment , there are more closures than usual at the moment because of 2017 being the anniversary year (25) .

TeaT1me Mon 08-Feb-16 17:06:47

Ha! My girls loved it, they've been practicing driving cars on 2 wheels and were really impressed!

TeaT1me Mon 08-Feb-16 17:07:20

Toy cars that is....

snowypenguin Mon 08-Feb-16 17:55:49

Ah my son loved the stunt show but he loves racing McQueen, shoot outs and fire! We all thought it was great fun.

ehupmeduck Mon 08-Feb-16 20:35:39

Ah, thanks everyone, some great advice there. Checked out the closures and am a bit disappointed because Big Thunder Mountain and Star Tours are both closed and these are the 2 I was most excited about sad. Will still be amazing though I'm sure

Floralnomad Mon 08-Feb-16 21:33:43

Big Thunder Mountain has been closed for months ,it is a big one to miss . Star Tours needed refurbishing , it hasn't been altered since the park opened .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now