Talk

Advanced search

Where can we go around roscoff, Brittany?

(26 Posts)
Cleo81 Mon 01-Feb-16 14:56:57

We are thinking of getting the ferry from Portsmouth to roscoff in Brittany. Completely no idea as to where we can go from there. Where are the best places? We don't want to be more than a couple of hours from the port and will have a 3.5 year old and an 18 month old so we need somewhere with lots to do for kids and ideally near a beach.

Anyone help?

dreamingofsun Tue 02-Feb-16 12:23:51

carnac. south brittany has better weather than north generally. all brittany is beautiful though

INeedNewShoes Tue 02-Feb-16 13:56:00

Audierne is a two hour drive from Roscoff. It's a fishing village with a few restaurants by the harbour and a sandy beach. When I went I was camping at Plouhinec which is the next village along.

I also think you'd be better heading to the South of Brittany rather than along the North coast as the weather is more reliable (though the North coast does have its own rustic beauty to it).

jenpetronus Tue 02-Feb-16 14:09:57

I live on the south coast of Brittany. The weather is definitely WAY better wink

Cleo81 Tue 02-Feb-16 17:10:06

Ok will look at that area too. Def would like nice weather. We are going in July. Anyone know of a nice hotel resort which has villas/family apartments within the complex?

FraterculaArctica Tue 02-Feb-16 17:12:42

Aber'wrach area on the north coast is lovely. Huge sandy beaches.

FraterculaArctica Tue 02-Feb-16 17:14:06

Ps do you mean Portsmouth or Plymouth? As far as I know all the ferries go from Plymouth, but I may be out of date.

Carantec about 10 mins away from
Roscoff is lovely. Will you be camping?

Needfinsnow Tue 02-Feb-16 17:16:32

Perros Guirec is absolutely beautiful x

Cleo81 Tue 02-Feb-16 19:38:16

Ok now looking into southern coast of Brittany. We will already be in Telgruc sur mer so looking for something max 2 hours from there.

dreamingofsun Wed 03-Feb-16 13:13:30

we've only ever done mobiles on campsites (kids got bored the first and only time we stayed at a gite) so can't help with apartments. if you want campsites i can help

Cleo81 Wed 03-Feb-16 23:04:14

Dreamingofsun- where would you recommend for mobile homes then? Looking for places walkable to a beach/shops/restaurants. Thanks

dreamingofsun Thu 04-Feb-16 12:06:32

in carnac we always went to la grand metairie. its not walkable to the beach or shops though. does have restaurants and is large site. if you look at ukcampsites.co.uk you can get reviews of different sites and also links to their websites and it shows if they have mobiles or not. i think les menhirs is the one that is near men du beach and the shops. you could also look at the ones in la trinite as that is just next to carnac and may be nearer the beach. there are absolutely loads of stunning beaches in the area.

dreamingofsun Thu 04-Feb-16 12:09:06

owners direct have houses

RainbowDashed Thu 04-Feb-16 12:20:20

Another shout for Perros Guirec.

Dinard also has a fantastic beach but it's a bit of a trek from Roscoff I think. We sail into St Malo, Dinard is really close to there.

We went to Brittany for the first time last year, the weather wasn't great but we still had a brilliant week and there were enough breaks in the rain to get some proper beach time in.

dreamingofsun Fri 05-Feb-16 16:35:16

les deux fontaines is a nice site and is walking distance to a decent beach - you walk through the fields which is nice. it has a restaurant and i think takeaway on site and also a shop. we preferred the carnac area as the weather was a bit more reliable, but didn't like the site as much as les deux.

StompyFreckles Sat 06-Feb-16 21:24:41

We stayed at Les Mouettes which is near roscoff - a lovely camping / holiday home village and close to gorgeous beaches too.

Needfinsnow Sat 06-Feb-16 21:43:51

Campsite in Perros Guirec "le Ranolien" it's directly on the pink granite coast, I remember a walk into one town of about 3/4 hour although probably less! Nice small beach and some lovely restaurants ("le Mao" being one!) and in opposite direction about a 10 minute car ride to a fab beach and a long road of shops, restaurants etc (best being "le Ker Bleu" ) and is near to a place called Tregustrel where is a lovely aquarium x

Les mouettes was my recommendation too. Lovely town, great beaches, amazing views from the campsite too.

The hill from the campsite into town is a killer though!

ladybird69 Sat 06-Feb-16 23:45:57

I love Brittany, beautiful. I love Quimper beautiful cathedral and river running through the streets. I can't remember where we stayed but it was half an hour from fabulous beaches. about an hour from roscoff if I remember I'll come back.

StompyFreckles Sun 07-Feb-16 06:41:16

Aswell as les Mouettes, we have also stayed at Les grande Metairie in Carnac, which was lovely. Les Mouettes was ideal for being so close to the ferry port though.

Devilishpyjamas Sun 07-Feb-16 07:08:07

As a previous poster said you mean Plymouth not Portsmouth*

Do check this because if you live in the South East & are expecting to drive to Portsmouth you are going to have a shock when you realise you have to drive to devon (especislly if it's a Saturday in August - forget it).

Brittany & finistere is gorgeous, but do check which ferry port you are leaving from.

NotSoFancyNancy Sun 07-Feb-16 07:11:50

Unashamedly marking spot as thinking of heading here in summertime too.

dreamingofsun Sun 07-Feb-16 09:33:27

i used to buy a really detailed map (I guess you get this online now). it meant that we found lovely beaches off the beaten track which you had almost to yourself. i can remember picknicking next to the beach in a field of orchids. every area of brittany was lovely....though i still prefer the carnac area as we always had better weather.

if your kids are football mad then dol de bretagne (i think its called) is worth considering. its near st malo and has an astro turf football pitch. my 3 adored it. good swimming pools as well. though not so near a beach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now