Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

American friends planning Ireland and Scotland trip and asking me for advise.

(13 Posts)
mckenzie Tue 26-Jan-16 17:31:04

They are a fairly active music loving couple with a 6 year old daughter and envisage having 10 days to go to Ireland and Scotland. I've been to both but many moons ago and as a singleton so my knowledge is limited and not of much use to them.
Can you help please?
I'm thinking that 10 days (in August) is enough time to visit both yes?
I think that they don't really know where to start and are keen to have recommendations for hotels, places to visit, things to see and do.
Can anyone help please?
TIA

mckenzie Tue 26-Jan-16 21:06:56

bump

AgentProvocateur Tue 26-Jan-16 21:14:43

Well, it's the Edinburgh Festival/Fringe at the end of Aug, so loads going on but accommodation would be dear. I'd recommend staying in North Berwick with the beach for the wee one, or in Glasgow and getting the train through. Would also recommend the Western isles / Skye at that time of year.

Bunbaker Tue 26-Jan-16 22:33:16

"Would also recommend the Western isles / Skye at that time of year."

Right at the peak of the midge season? I wouldn't.

AgentProvocateur Tue 26-Jan-16 22:42:21

Yes, midges, but lovely long nights and warm-ish sea.

nooddsocksforme Tue 26-Jan-16 23:36:25

havn't been to Ireland but if driving round Scotland and getting to the isles it can take a while to get from place to place. Edinburgh is a must-a drive up the west coast through Glencoe passes some amazing scenery .Isle of Skye is also beautiful and has boat trips to see eagles/dolphins/seals . On the east coast Aviemore and nearby carrbridge gas things for children to do and there is the highland wildlife park and the funicular railway up the cairngorm .
I suppose I would fly into Glasgow,head up the west coast and to skye , then over to aviemore area ,then back down to edinburgh

mckenzie Wed 27-Jan-16 13:58:28

Thank you very much smile
I shall pass that all on.

mckenzie Fri 29-Jan-16 17:56:12

Any other tips guys?
TIA

Dowser Sat 30-Jan-16 19:21:59

They will absolutely love the royal yacht Britannia docked at leith near Edinburgh. I've been three times and it is a must, must, must do!

Also will love the pandas at Edinburgh zoo...another must do.

Glasgow also excellent. I don't think there's time to do both Scotland and Ireland properly. What about Wales. Cardiff fab and mt snow don on a little train!

Giants Causeway - absolutely amazing. Titanic Exhibition in Belfast.
Edinburgh and Glasgow are both brilliant cities, but probably more 'History' and 'Sights' around Edinburgh.

SenecaFalls Sat 30-Jan-16 19:25:32

I'd say Mull over Skye, if they only have a few days.

Graceymac Sat 30-Jan-16 19:32:53

I live in the West of Ireland, if it is only a few days they have they could fly into Shannon, visit the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Kinvara is a beautiful village, very musical. Travel onto Galway City, a beautiful vibrant city with many festivals throughout the year. Travel onto Connemara, stop in Clifden, travel up the Sky road through Letterfrack and onto Leenane. Visit Louisburgh, climb Crough Patrick and look at the views over Clew Bay, stay in Westport which is a vibrant, picturesque town with plenty of music, bars and restaurants, hire bicycles and cycle along the Greenway towards Ackyll Island, then fly onto Edinburgh from Knock airport which is about 50 mins from Westport.

mckenzie Sun 31-Jan-16 18:04:19

Thank you Mumsnet. As always, where would I be without you? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now