Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Efteling vs Northumberland

(27 Posts)
Headfulahorlix Mon 25-Jan-16 20:23:00

DH wants to do Northumberland for a week. His reasons are cost and journey times.

I would like do Efteling for five days but he says its too much travel and he'd get bored after 2 days.

Any advice much appreciated.

Normandy144 Mon 25-Jan-16 20:30:26

I don't know where Efetling is so can't offer advice on it, but Northumberland is fab. We went last May half term with our then just turned 2 yr old and there was so much to do. We are national trust members and made use of our passes. Saw lots of castles; Bamburgh, Dunstanburgh, Alnwick and Lindisfarne (on Holy Island). The beaches are magnificent wide spaces and pretty much empty - plenty of space for paddling and kicking balls about and walking. Obviously we weren't sunbathing but we were still able to take a picnic out most days and eat on the beach or in castle grounds. I highly recommend.

RiverTam Mon 25-Jan-16 20:36:39

We're looking at northumberland. Are all the beaches ones you can swim at?

tribpot Mon 25-Jan-16 20:38:30

Efteling for five days? It has been possibly 30 years since I have been to it but I can't imagine spending more than one day at it.

Can you not do both? Ferry from Newcastle overnight, Efteling for one or even two days, ferry back over, Northumberland for the rest of the week.

Headfulahorlix Mon 25-Jan-16 20:41:00

Money, darn it, money! Otherwise I'd do it all!!!!

tribpot Mon 25-Jan-16 20:42:37

Yes but you've got to get to the Netherlands from the UK anyway?

DamnCommandments Mon 25-Jan-16 20:43:33

Efteling for three days and then a lovely white Dutch beach on the way home? Efteling is great! (But even I wouldn't go for a full five days...)

Headfulahorlix Mon 25-Jan-16 20:43:58

OK... how bout Northumberland vs St ives?

DH also has fab childhood memories of Isle of Man, many involving tailless cats.

Anyone been?

Headfulahorlix Mon 25-Jan-16 20:45:48

True but its either really nice cottage in Northumberland vs budget Efteling, which I'm ruling out. Consensus is that its just too long...

Normandy144 Mon 25-Jan-16 22:11:16

Rivertam yes you can swim at the beaches, but it is the North Sea and even in late May it was freezing. There were some brave folk in the water though.

VinoEsmeralda Mon 25-Jan-16 22:17:12

The Efteling is a fab place but no more then one full day or two at a push. You could look at Centre Parcs De Kempervennen, cheap for a midweek and lowish season. Its a 45 min drive to Efeteling...

Bunbaker Thu 28-Jan-16 07:08:11

"We're looking at Northumberland. Are all the beaches ones you can swim at?"

Northumberland has fantastic, beautiful beaches. However, it is on the north sea so if you are planning on swimming I would get wet suits.

IMO Northumberland is one of the most underrated counties in England for a holiday. OH is from Northumberland and we go several times a year to visit. There is so much to see and do. If you stay away from the A1 you will find most roads are much, much quieter than anywhere else in England.

bigTillyMint Thu 28-Jan-16 07:23:01

Northumberland is fab. Unspoilt nature at it's best. Plus lots of castles, etc. But it is cold and windy even in the summer. Not sure you would want to swim even in wet suits!

The Isle of Man is great - loads of varied stuff to see and do plus some good beaches - definitely possible to swim there in the summer.

Center Parcs is a totally different experience.

How old are your DC?

Bunbaker Thu 28-Jan-16 07:28:55

I have spent many summers in Northumberland. Yes the weather would be better in Cornwall, but it isn't cold and windy all the time.

sootica Thu 28-Jan-16 07:30:54

I am well placed to advise on this as those were my last two holidays! We went to Nortumberland for a week last summer and Efteling in April 2013 and going again to Efteling in April this year. I definitely agree combine Efteling with something else, and 5 days is pushing it. We're going to stay 4 nights in a woodland cottage at Efteling this Easter but combining with Duinrell on the way there and Amsterdam on the way back and so only planning on staying 3.5 actual days in the park itself. Last time we went we combined with Antwerp and Bruges and stayed 2 nights at Efteling which was more than enough.
If this is summer I think you'd be fed up of queues by the end of the Efteling holiday and not feel v relaxed. Dutch beaches are ok but not a patch on Northumberland for scenery. We had a fabulous Northumberland holiday doing beaches and castles and I'd do it again in a flash. I'd do Efteling again too in a flash (and am doing it this Easter) but they are different sorts of holidays really. If you want a bit of relaxing go for Northumberland.

sootica Thu 28-Jan-16 07:32:50

rivertarn we swum in the sea at Northumberland last summer on a hot August day and it was absolutely freezing. We were the only ones in the sea. Many paddling opportunities though.

Wolpertinger Thu 28-Jan-16 07:39:53

You can't do 5 days at Efteling. But it's in Holland - you can totally do 5 days in Holland!

CauliflowerBalti Thu 28-Jan-16 07:47:48

Northumberland is my favourite place to visit in the UK. It's vastly underrated and utterly beautiful. I try and go at least once a year.

The weather is more reliable in Cornwall. We went for a week last year and I used to go every year with my ex-husband. St Ives is so so busy though. You shuffle about like a zombie.

RiverTam Thu 28-Jan-16 07:57:57

Thanks for all the replies about the beaches. We'd planned on wetsuits - I just feel that DD would be beyond disappointed if she didn't get to swim in the sea, but none of the pictures we have seen ever show anyone in the sea (though there seem to be a few water sports going on at some of the beaches).

CauliflowerBalti Thu 28-Jan-16 08:15:34

I've seen kids in the sea on Bamburgh beach loads of times. Beadnell is a nice beach for kids. And crabbing.

RiverTam Thu 28-Jan-16 09:35:52

Hurray!

Robertaquimby Tue 02-Feb-16 17:28:13

My Mum learned to swim in the sea in Northumberland. We go every year and my kids are in and out of the water all the time with no wetsuits. Depends on weather and what you are used to.

Northumberland and Efteling are totally different types of holidays. Northumberland is paddling, rockpools, castles. No big attractions
I love Cornwall but Northumberland is miles cheaper for accomodation so you could probably stay somewhere lovely for the same price. There have been some really good threads about things to do in Northumberland if you have a search.

Robertaquimby Tue 02-Feb-16 17:31:02

There is a kids surf school at Coldingham Sands, just over the border into Scotland. Fab beach bit like Cornwall actually and obviously loads of kids in the sea. Beach is great for rockpools, my kids love it there.

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Wed 28-Dec-16 21:44:54

wow I know this is old thread but amazed at the efteling responses you can totally spend 5 days there! We have been twice in high peak summer and never queued more than 20 mins as you just use their app and get organized even after two visits we have missed a few rides to get on, as we have been so busy and never had much time to just relax in the gorgeous areas around the accommodation - ie lovely lake and play areas. Its so lovely in itself you can spend a day sitting round admiring the scenery and there is the little pool as well.

Emmerdalefan Wed 28-Dec-16 21:47:09

I live in Northumberland (hexham) and it's stunning. You won't be disappointed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now