Talk

Advanced search

What not to miss and what to wear?? Zanzibar in two weeks w 2*DCs

(10 Posts)
ScandiCinnamon Wed 20-Jan-16 08:51:05

Hello. We, OH, DD1 - 7 years, DD2 5.5 years are off on our first proper holiday in a couple of weeks. Zanzibar. Very much looking forward to it. Never been. What are the things not to miss whilst there? We have four days in Stonetown and 4 days on the south east coast.

I realise it will be hot and but as the majority of the population is Muslim I do not want to dress myself or DD's inappropriately/lack of respect. When looking a bit online the advise seems to be cover arms and legs, but for anyone who has actually been, what do tourists wear? I am not planning on skimpy shorts and vest tops when out and about, but would short sleeved clothing and knee length skirts be totally inappropriate?

Very grateful for any advise.

Also, mosquitoes..........are they very bad there?

mouldycheesefan Wed 20-Jan-16 11:23:24

Yes Zanzibar is bad for Mosquitos and malaria, isn't that where Cheryl Cole got malaria?
I have worn maxi dresses and floaty long sleeve tops over them when I have been in similar environments. Obviously you are fine in the hotel but remember those two teens who got acids thrown on them in Zanzibar for not being covered up enough? I would be sure to cover up, ask in the hotel.
I would like to go to Zanzibar with dcs so would be interested into you posted on your return, have a lovely holiday

ScandiCinnamon Wed 20-Jan-16 11:36:58

Thank you mouldycheesefan. Yes, was thinking of maxi dresses for myself with a light floaty top.

Artandco Wed 20-Jan-16 11:40:42

I would cover up like going to the Middle East

So for you and children long maxi dresses and thin cardigan/ linen blazer

For Dh long chinos and long thin shirts.

mouldycheesefan Wed 20-Jan-16 11:41:06

Yes like a light linen shirt or something over it, then you can wear a strappy maxi dress underneath and still be cool.
However I haven't been to Zanzibar but that has worked well for me in other hot Islamic countries. Or linen trousers.

Rinceoir Wed 20-Jan-16 21:07:33

I've been to Zanzibar. Covering shoulders and knees should be fine, nothing too low cut.

Rinceoir Wed 20-Jan-16 21:08:21

From a mosquito point of view I recommend covering to wrists and ankles mind!

ErgonomicallyUnsound Wed 20-Jan-16 22:33:30

Not to miss - swimming in the wild with dolphins. We did this in the south, and stayed in Nungwi and Matemwe in the north where the beaches are the best I've seen in my life. The doors in Stone Town I remember too. We also went on a fascinating spice tour.

I went about 20 years ago [wonders where all the years have gone]

I don't remember covering up much, but then I'm never in shorts and vest tops anyway - trousers or skirts and Tshirts were fine.

Graceymac Wed 20-Jan-16 22:57:15

We went on an amazing safari in Tanzania then went on to Zanzibar. I stayed in the Emerson and Green hotel in Stone Town which has a lovely roof top restaurant perfect for sunset cocktails as you are seated on floor cushions looking out over the town. The spice tours are supposed to be good although I didn't go on one. I stayed in Ras Nungwi for a few nights, the hotel was overpriced, beach was ok but the sea was very rough and difficult to swim in. Stone town is interesting but quite run down in places. The people I found to be very friendly, the children are very curious and enjoyed testing out their English on us. It is small enough to get around on foot. We chartered a small boat and went snorkelling on the crystal clear waters and went to a lovely beach. My husband went diving also. Enjoy your trip!

ScandiCinnamon Thu 21-Jan-16 08:58:18

Thanks all! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now