Talk

Advanced search

Dutch holiday advice please

(14 Posts)
SinclairSpectrum Fri 15-Jan-16 19:42:45

We are a family of 5, dc ages 8 - 5. Our usual holidays are a villa somewhere hot booked via Owners Direct or similar.
I am bid to do something cheaper different I am considering a Centre Parcs / Eurocamp type of thing in Holland. We live in Northern England so could travel with our fully laden car by ferry.
I have seen a few sites that seem to have lots of activities but I am worried they may be (whispers) chavvy.
Does anyone have experience of this kind of holiday? Any recommendations? Dos and don'ts?

VinoEsmeralda Fri 15-Jan-16 19:47:35

Landal Greenparcs are nice. We went to the Hoog Vaals one and we all had a great time. DC's 10&11. CP is ok too if you like the aqua mundo but my DC dont particularly as its too busy.

You might like to look at Duinrell too, kids heaven so I've heard...

gincamelbak Fri 15-Jan-16 19:49:15

Hof Van Saksen.

Brilliant. Not chavvy in the slightest. It's really lovely, has a spa and restaurants and a separate building with a giant soft play frame (with cafe. Where you can buy a glass of beer if you wish) and other areas for trampoline and activities.

Really relaxing. Have never been to centre parcs, have been told HvS is a lot better by those on the know.

Friend went to a sister site and was similarly impressed.

MeganChips Fri 15-Jan-16 19:50:13

We went to Duinrell in the summer and had a brilliant time of that's the kind of thing you're thinking about?

It's a big site but not chavvy at all and there was loads to do. We hires bikes, went to the beach and Amsterdam, a day trip to Efteling which I highly recommend and there were plenty of eating places in the local town which was 5 minutes walk away. There is a free theme park on site, an indoor pool with water slides and an outdoor pool.

The DCs declared it the best holiday ever and keep asking when we're going back.

gincamelbak Fri 15-Jan-16 19:51:33

Hof Van Saksen is a Landal site.

We went hull to rotterdam and drove across Holland. Cost was around £500 ferry and £1000 for the chalet (4 bed/8 people, shared with another family).

FaFoutis Fri 15-Jan-16 19:56:13

We have been to De Kempervennen (centre parcs), it is an easy trip from Hull and you can stop off at Eftleling for a night on the way, your dc are just the right ages for that.
De K was middle-class English families in the week but it was a bit different at the weekend when it got full of locals who were a bit rough in terms of drinking and chucking themselves about in the pool. I would stick to week days. The dc loved it and I liked riding everywhere on bikes. We had a lovely house on the lake too.

ivykaty44 Fri 15-Jan-16 20:22:12

Been to Duinrell and DD loved it, we had our own campervan and the camping was clean but basic. The water park and rides were very good and all free.

As an adult one week was enough for me and I then wanted to move on.

I like the city and beach and small town nearby. You could leave your car untouched for a week and use trains and bikes to get around very easily.

Do be aware the weather will be much like home

SinclairSpectrum Fri 15-Jan-16 20:41:09

Thank you all so much, plenty food for thought and definitely encouraging.
I think it sounds exactly what we are looking for.

Going to look at all the above sites then book!

No1HolidayPlanner Fri 15-Jan-16 21:38:45

We spent Oct Half term at Duinrell.. Stayed with Eurocamp.. Highly recommend it.

greenfolder Fri 15-Jan-16 21:42:42

We stay at het vennebos which is a Landal park. Think centerparcs 20 years ago. Just booked a 3 bed bungalow for £380 for a week spring half term. Great pool. We drive to Eindhoven once during the week and get the train to either amsterdam or Düsseldorf.

Manopaws Tue 19-Jan-16 23:11:22

Duinrell cheaper and better than Centreparks. only 40 mins from ferry port free funfair (you've got to try the toboggan run). also been to center aarts on the Dutch/German border. Was also fun but not a patch on Duinrell

AuditAngel Tue 19-Jan-16 23:17:55

Currently looking to book De Kempervennen, previously stayed at Erperheide in Belgium, but DH invited my mum too, and Erperheide cost half as much again for 6 compared to 5

CointreauVersial Tue 19-Jan-16 23:24:53

De Kempervennen and Duinrell are both amazing. Book the nicest villa you can afford, and hire bikes for the week.

De Kempervennen has a huge range of activities, including waterskiing, diving, high ropes and a snow-centre/ski slope. Probably my favourite park.

Duinrell is smaller, but has a "mini-Chessington", with roller coasters etc. and a huge water park.

No1HolidayPlanner Wed 20-Jan-16 09:11:40

Stayed at Duinrell for first time last Oct half term.. Such a fab place.. Immediately rebooked!!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now