Talk

Advanced search

North coast of Spain

(7 Posts)
MrsWembley Fri 15-Jan-16 16:49:50

Looking at doing the self-catering thing, but don't know the country well enough to know where to look/where to avoid.

Help!

MrsWembley Fri 15-Jan-16 19:53:27

Bump!

Stokey Sat 16-Jan-16 12:10:14

Depends what you want - beaches, mountains, city, culture?

Galicia has beautiful white sandy beaches, Asturias for mountains, Bilbao/Santander for city and culture. You can't really go wrong round there scenery wise.

There are also some lovely beaches near Santander.

But the weather is a bit chnageable on that coast line so you may not get sun if that's what you want.

MrsWembley Sat 16-Jan-16 14:58:58

Thank-you!

Not worried about sun, just had some dodgy experiences in the past where I've picked campsites in some less salubrious parts of town and not wanted to step outside the front doorgrin

Beaches and family fun really. Small, quiet areas with good local shops. As I said, never been to Spain so I don' know what to expect.

Provencalroseparadox Sat 16-Jan-16 16:10:25

Hondarribia is lovely. North coast, really close to France (you can hop on a ferry across), lovely town centre with great pedestrianised square with loads of bars and restaurants. The beaches are great and there is one that is fab for kids as it has a breakwater which makes it v calm. There are kids clubs and things to do on the beach.

If you have a car there are loads of great day trips in driving distance: Biarritz, St Jean de Luz, the foothills of the Pyrenees, San Sebastián. Even Pamplona and Bayonne are close enough to visit.

MrsWembley Sat 16-Jan-16 17:35:42

More excellent advice, thank-you.smile

And now the talk is turning to Brittany... <sigh>

TheExtraGuineaPig Sun 17-Jan-16 09:12:14

Zarautz close to San Sebastián (Donostia) has a beautiful beach, great festivals and a nice local campsite on the hills. Lovely, lovely food there and especially in Getaria (next village). There's also a lovely beach and incredible old town there but less in the way of accommodation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now