Taking a buggy on holiday?

(26 Posts)
Rpj16 Thu 07-Jan-16 19:03:41

Was not sure whether to post this in parenting or travel as its a mix. We will be taking a road trip to spain in June with a 7 month old baby. Lots of stop off points on the way and over night stays. I feel a cheap buggy would be very useful, however other in RL have suggested its pointless and we should just take a babycarrier. Im all for taking a baby carrier, but who knows if the baby will like being 'carried' all the time. I think a cheap 2nd hand or even borrowed buggy will be ok, and fold away small into boot.

What have others done when traveling a long distance with a baby under 1?

Avebury Sun 10-Jan-16 16:24:42

I would definitely take a buggy. Not only is it somewhere to dump the baby - and stop them getting too hot and making you too hot but it is also useful for carting stuff around etc. Buy something relatively decent like a maclaren and you'll get years out of it.

dementedpixie Sun 10-Jan-16 16:30:47

I would definitely take a buggy that reclines so there is somewhere to put the baby when you don't want to carry them.

Rpj16 Sun 10-Jan-16 19:24:34

Thanks for the replies - I thought it would be a good idea taking one. I think people coming with us are concerned about space. But it will be so much easier!

Tiredandtorn Sun 10-Jan-16 22:29:11

Definitely take a buggy!! i used a carrier/sling in Spain last year when do was 5 months. It was hell. No personal space, so hot all the time, she didn't nap properly at all = terrible nights too. awful. Please take a buggy!

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Tue 12-Jan-16 17:01:22

Buggy all the way. DS hated sleeping in his carrier. Plus buggies are easier to shade. You could take a sling for if you're going anywhere really busy maybe?

FoxtrotOscarBackToEconomy Sat 16-Jan-16 21:52:22

Not cheap, but take a look at the Babyzen Yoyo pushchair if you think you will travel regularly. It folds down very small (OK to be hand luggage on a plane small) so takes up very little room in the car boot, so you might find it very useful in general!

I would not consider travelling without a pushchair! It is a pain to be carrying all the time unless you are used to it and have only ever carried (and it sounds like you haven't).

Rpj16 Sat 16-Jan-16 22:33:48

That babyzen looks so nice!
Yes, we will def be getting a special light push chair. Might check ebay for that one you recommended between now and the departure!!
We'll take a sling too. Buggy is nicer for baby isn't it - can sleep more during the day!

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sat 16-Jan-16 22:37:15

Baby will be hot, and so will you of your walking any where - we hd a very cheap £15 one from Argos that did the trick - and chucked it before we came home!!

Just a thought!!

Rpj16 Sat 16-Jan-16 22:39:29

I was looking at Argos earlier sally. What one did you get and was it important to/did it lie flat?

ThoughtfulPenny Sat 16-Jan-16 22:44:20

Absolutely take one. I seriously wouldn't consider going on holiday with a baby without one. We bought a zeta city for £30 on Amazon, great low sunshade, lies flat and easy to push. It was worth its weight in gold!

Rpj16 Sat 16-Jan-16 22:53:23

oooh that's a good contender!! wonder if it will stay on sale for a while. £30 is pretty good for price!!

westcountrywoman Sat 16-Jan-16 22:58:39

Yes take a buggy. It will be boiling in Spain in August and a 7 month old will struggle with the heat at the best of times; it would be 10x worse in a sling (for both of you). A buggy will allow much more airflow and is easier to keep in the shade. Get one that lies flat so the baby can have a good stretch / kick around after being in the car a lot. Something like a Mountain Buggy Nano will fit in the footwell of the seat being occupied by the baby in the car, so won't need to take up boot space.

westcountrywoman Sat 16-Jan-16 22:59:25

Sorry, June not August. Either way, it'll be hot!

Samantha28 Sat 16-Jan-16 22:59:42

Are you mad ?? You MUST take a buggy , if that is what your baby is used to . 7 month is huge , hot and heavy to carry unless you are doing it daily at home .

As others have said , get one that reclines flat so you baby can sleep it in . What are you doing about a car seat and a cot for overnight ?

Can I ask, without wishing to offend, if this is your first baby ?

Samantha28 Sat 16-Jan-16 23:00:19

Oops x posted

Rpj16 Sat 16-Jan-16 23:13:09

Hi Samantha - yes it is my first baby. I am of the very strong opinion that a buggy is the answer, and will be insisting we take one otherwise we don't go - I feel reinforced by the advice offered in this thread too! grin. All for taking a sling too (for here and there use) but, it is ridiculous not to consider taking a buggy isn't it!

(there is a back story, we are travelling with others in a very big vehicle who I suspect don't want the baby to take up much room)

We'll take our own car seat, and a travel cot if there is not one provided. I might even go ahead and buy a little baby tent and a whole load of accessories and toys to go with it. It is my first, so inexperienced, but I think we'll need to take a lot more stuff than is expected (?!)

Rpj16 Sat 16-Jan-16 23:15:11

just to add - everyone is excited about this trip, and all want to baby to come, I think people are just not thinking logically as it has been30+ years since they travelled with a baby. (Sorry if that comes across as rude to any grandmas)

Iggi999 Sat 16-Jan-16 23:20:57

Check your car seat fits in their car, and bring the instructions about how to install it with you!

Samantha28 Sat 16-Jan-16 23:30:41

I don't think it's rude at all and suspect that you are right re GP . And it's a bit harder to " fight your corner " when it's your first .

It's easy for GP to have a romantic idea of strolling around the med in a floral dress and straw hat with a contented baby sitting on your hip . Or relaxing on a balcony watching the sunset with a glass of sangria in your hand.

Which is great if you have happy contented baby who sleeps well and loves the car seat . And will happily be passed around to everyone while you relax too . Less great if she is clingy , hates the car seat or conversely sleeps all the day in the car while you are driving and is up all night when you get to your destination .

I would imagine that the one things that will make the biggest difference over now ( assuming that your baby is now 8 weeks old ) will be that BF will be very easy by then. I've had a slightly older baby in Greece in a hot summer in July and he ate very little solids there , despite doing so at home. It should be cooler in June of course .

GP will have to accept that baby comes with kit and that's that .

Littlemissjt Sat 16-Jan-16 23:46:08

I'm away just now with a 5 month old and I couldn't manage without my buggy. I brought my own icandy one rather than a cheapy as it reclines. Although a sling sounds good it's good to be able to put ds in buggy and push him to help him drift off for a snooze.

Enjoy your trip!

Samantha28 Sat 16-Jan-16 23:53:04

Or even have granny push him grin

Where are you little miss ? < jealous >

chanice Sat 16-Jan-16 23:54:13

I took a pram and a baby carrier to Morocco and ended up leaving the carrier there. I used it once and got a massive backache it was nothing like using it here. The streets are different its hotter. Defo take a buggy.

Rpj16 Sun 17-Jan-16 13:37:59

Either my maths was shit in op or serious baby brain. Baby will be 5 months old in june blush. Not born yet. just waiting. due tomorrow!
We have a heavy duty push chair, but will get a lighter cheaper one. Are you somewhere hot littlemiss? I'd love a holiday right now. Or a spa day and sit in sauna - not happening at 40 weeks pg!

Samantha28 Sun 17-Jan-16 20:21:38

Don't worry, pregnancy brain is just as bad . Hope you are keeping well . Don't get too anxious tomorrow , remember only 5% of babies arrive on their due day . Enjoy the peace and quite while you can smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now