PortAventura. Any advice?

(17 Posts)
KitKat1985 Thu 07-Jan-16 17:14:44

Hi all. Just waiting for confirmation of my holiday dates from work, but hoping to have 2 weeks off in June. Have been talking to DH about where we might like to go. We will have DD with us who will be about 21 months by June. We are also TTC again so I may be pregnant again by then We want somewhere with a reasonably short flight time but with lots to do when we get there, and very family friendly. We were thinking about maybe the Costa Dorada area so we can visit PortAventura (and also be near Barcelona etc). I guess what I want to know is if it's worth doing PortAventura with such a young child? Is there anything for them to do / enjoy there? Or are all the rides aimed at older children / adults? TIA. xx

Maryz Thu 07-Jan-16 17:17:47

dd went to Port Aventura with a group of friends on a school trip.

She said it was great for teenagers, but very, very crowded. It was also hot queuing (and they were there in April), so I'm not sure how it would be for small children in June.

We were not far from Barcelona this summer and both dd and ds decided it was far too hot to go - and they both love theme parks generally.

I would have thought that with an almost 2 year old and a bump you might want a holiday with very little to do grin

KitKat1985 Thu 07-Jan-16 17:21:40

Oh I get bored easily (as does DH)! Last time I was pregnant with DD we went on our belated holiday at the time doing all the theme parks in Florida! It was knackering but fun! grin

KitKat1985 Thu 07-Jan-16 17:22:56

Belated honeymoon that should day!

KitKat1985 Thu 07-Jan-16 17:23:56

'say' not 'day'! Bloomin' heck!

Maryz Thu 07-Jan-16 17:26:24

grin

It's hot near Barcelona in June. Very hot. But probably not hotter than Florida.

bishboschone Thu 07-Jan-16 17:30:04

We have been 3 X so ask me anything you want to .

bishboschone Thu 07-Jan-16 17:32:57

We took our 4 year old this year and yes there is loads for small children. Lots of shows and things to look at . Also a whole section for young children . There is also a fantastic water park right next too to the park . It's a short flight and short transfer . We have stayed in the hotel portaventura every time , the food is great and it's right on the doorstep of the park . The only (!-'d I mean only ) downside is the check in queue . Very very slow but we sat outside at the cafe while dh queued . We are thinking of going again this year as my son has sn and it suited him so well .

KitKat1985 Thu 07-Jan-16 17:41:22

Oh that's really good to know thank you bishboschone. My anxiety is that there would be height restrictions on everything so DD wouldn't be able to do much (although obviously I know the 'bigger' rides will have restrictions) so it's good to know there is plenty for small children to do. Have you found that you've had to queue for ages for everything once you are in the park? Not sure how patient my DD would be in, say, an hours queue for instance!

Is the rest of Costa Dorada quite family-friendly as well?

Thank you for letting me quiz you! smile

bishboschone Thu 07-Jan-16 18:04:32

We have only been in term time and it's been fine . I wouldn't want to go in the holidays as I imagine it's awful ( remember to check the Spanish and French holidays too) . We were in the children's section and ds was going from one ride to another which suited him while dh and dd went off to the big rides . None of them were more than 60 mins but usually less . We always went to the park first thing and did the rides then back to the pool or water park after lunch . They have some amazing shows which are in the shade . Both my kids love it there . Salou is walking distance and there is a beach which is lovely . It's not a pretty place but it's fine . Friendly and has everything you need .. Cambrills is supposed to be lovely !

bishboschone Thu 07-Jan-16 18:08:36

I meant one ride to another without queuing .. It's such a lovely place , so Spanish . We took my mum this year who is used to 5 and 6 star luxury and she loves the food . It's very fresh , you may have a problem if you don't like paella , etc . They did have a English section which was embarrassing as all the English were queuing up for chips and burgers . in our opinion here is loads of choice but I did hear people moaning about the food . Ask me anything , I love it there so am happy to talk about it smile

KitKat1985 Thu 07-Jan-16 18:13:44

Thank you for all the info. I wish work would hurry up and confirm my holiday dates so I can get booking!! smile

bishboschone Thu 07-Jan-16 18:27:51

Great .. Just pm me if you get any more questions or I'll check this thread . I'm sure you will love it ... We originally went when dd now 12 was 3 for the very reason that I thought we would all get bored sitting round a pool all day . With this holiday you have the option of both .

KitKat1985 Thu 07-Jan-16 18:53:02

Ooh, just a quick one, is the food at the hotel buffet style or al la carte? Thank you! x

bishboschone Thu 07-Jan-16 19:07:14

It's buffet at the hotel portaventura and half board there are two other hotels which I believe do all inclusive and may offer more food options . The buffet has loads of choice though . The caribe and El Paso aren't far away , over the road and I think you have to get a bus there, we prefer being more independent and like being bearer so we can walk .

KitKat1985 Thu 07-Jan-16 19:20:22

Great thank you. x

bishboschone Thu 07-Jan-16 19:55:38

No probs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now