Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Child's first passport how long really worried plz help

(12 Posts)
KatBond Wed 06-Jan-16 14:06:58

Hi

I am really worried missing out holiday now. We sent our little ones passport via normal postal service on 29th and got processed on 30th but i left out the long birth cert (and now they requested) i have sent it off but i am worried we will miss our holiday on 24th Jan .

They said it could take upto 4 weeks and i can't convert my application to fast track 1 week. Until theirs one week left before my holiday and even then it would be upto them.

I really need some advice how do they take usually for child's first passport. I can't afford to lose £3k on a holiday.

BrianButterfield Wed 06-Jan-16 14:08:32

I did my DC's at the start of December and had them in my hand 1 week after I posted them - no Fast Track or anything special, I didn't even do check and send.

Marmite27 Wed 06-Jan-16 14:08:50

Ours took 1 week exactly.

But we paid for check and send at the post office.

BrianButterfield Wed 06-Jan-16 14:08:51

So once they get the certificate it could be very quick.

moggle Wed 06-Jan-16 14:20:58

I did DD's this time last year and again it also took a week. Didn't do check and send or anything else special. Good luck!

KatBond Wed 06-Jan-16 15:57:32

Thank all for your advice. I am so worried and just so stressed over this. i am to blame but my husband didn't even question it why you booking a holiday without a passport.

IF it doesn't arrive by 14th which is one week before we travel.

What are my options.

I have been told i can request a fast track upgrade but i have to provide a reason.

Could i go to Durham passport office and pick it up ?

Could we go without our little one ? ( i don't want to leave her behind it wont be the same)

Thank you for the comfort

moggle Wed 06-Jan-16 16:26:12

How would they know when your holiday was, I wonder if you would have to prove it? I mean, could you call them in a few days and say, it's a week til my holiday, can you change to fast track please? Or say you have to attend a funeral abroad and your LO has to come with you (though I know lots of people wouldn't like to say this kind of thing if not true).

Sure it's no consolation but my DB and DSIL were about to click on very expensive last minute ferry tickets to go see her family in Ireland for the Christmas holidays, when they suddenly realised that their new baby didn't have a passport.

KatBond Wed 06-Jan-16 18:49:01

its my fault but i am so stressed over this !!!

Can't i go in collect my DD passport in person once its ready on fast track basis ?

does anyone have reasons i can give to get it upgraded to fast track

ditherydora Wed 06-Jan-16 23:30:20

both ours took a week only. I am sure you will have it in time

Manopaws Wed 06-Jan-16 23:34:32

Can't you put your little ones in kennels for week while you go on holiday?

Just thought

KatBond Sat 09-Jan-16 22:50:35

called today was told being processed and they won't put me through Durham office until Friday which will be 1 week before our holiday !!!

Hopefully we will get but if i don't get anywhere by Thursday i will be getting my MP involved to help.

I don't want to leave DD behind. so stressful thank you for all your kind words and help

alicew91 Fri 29-Jan-16 06:17:24

Did get your passport in time? I'm travelling to Rome on the 15th and need my youngests passport. I sent if it off via check and send Monday. And my countersigner works for the post office so I've had it 'checked twice' so I know the forms are okay. It's just because when I sent of my eldest end of 2014 I had a text a couple days later saying they were processing and had the passport back in my hand within 7 days. This time I've had no text to even say they've got it! So wondering on the turn around time!! Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now