Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for things to do (apart from beach) in Salcombe, Devon?

(9 Posts)
sylvev Wed 19-May-04 18:45:33

Hi
We're renting a house with friends for half-term week and whilst I'm sure the weather will be hot and sunny (!), I think we might need some alternative activities! The children (4 of them) are 2 aged 5years and 2 aged 9 years. Any ideas?

KateandtheGirls Wed 19-May-04 18:47:53

Ooh, I'll be very interested in the answers to this question. We're going there for a week in June with my mum and stepfather. I've never been there before. Of course, I'm sure it will be hot and sunny everyday...

littlemissbossy Wed 19-May-04 18:48:59

Sorry never been to Salcombe but this should help

shrub Wed 19-May-04 19:07:37

boat trips, woodlands aventure park is lovely, plymouth aquarium, totnes market (fridays and saturdays)....i'll post some more when the brain is working.

shrub Wed 19-May-04 19:19:08

don't know if this is your bag but there is a brilliant organic vegetarian cafe called 'willows' right at the top of totnes.they have a family room, lots of toys and a garden where the children can play while you eat. having lived in devon for the last 15 years, i would say totnes has to be the most child friendly of all the towns. you will find lots of toy boxes in the shops so you can browse. during market days lots of musicians that the children will enjoy watching.also the 'cider press centre' near dartington hall is good at the weekends. during the summer they have lots of free performances outside:jugglers, music that sort of thing. there is a 'cranks' cafe on site, gift shop and toy shop. then up the road at dartington hall - loads of lovely walks, a theatre (childrens stuff too), cinema and more lovely food at the 'white hart'

goosey Wed 19-May-04 19:51:17

The River Dart Adventure Park is an exciting place for kids and very pleasant surroundings for adults too.
Pennywell Farm is great for kids too.
There is a good outdoor swimming pool at Ivybridge at the South Dartmoor Leisure Centre, and the primary school in Salcombe also open their school outdoor pool on certain days throughout the summer.
If I can think of anything else for you I'll add it later.
You could always pop around to mine for a coffee and a chat, lol.

WideWebWitch Wed 19-May-04 22:09:33

Sorley Tunnel is good. A bit scruffy but good. It's just past Kingsbridge.

sylvev Thu 20-May-04 23:39:32

Thanks so much, I'm busy researching all your suggestions now. Totnes sounds good, as we are a vegetarian-try-to-eat-organic family! Many thanks.

AnnieG Fri 21-May-04 12:01:38

The House of Marbles at Bovey Tracey is good fun.
Also as mentioned earlier, the River Dart Country Park is great-lots of outdoor activities there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: