Canary Islands (or similar) advice needed please

(7 Posts)
civilfawlty Mon 04-Jan-16 16:17:57

Hello.

We would very much like to go away late March+early April and are keen for some sun and relaxation. I was pondering the Canary Islands and wondered if anyone had any recommendations about which one, and then where to head for.

Ideally we'll rent a house on airbnb, and we'd be somewhere quiet with as few other tourists as possible. Not remotely worried about it being fancy.

Grateful for your suggestions.
Thank you

TweenageAngst Mon 04-Jan-16 16:50:02

Tenerife often has the cheapest flights and El Golfo is fairly quiet.

It is often best to stay in the southeast corners of the Islands as the weather is usually better. All the Islands have their own microclimates so do some research.

La Gomera is very quiet and untouristy as is El Hierro and La Palma. But they are more expensive to get to.

I actually love Lanzarote it is like the moon. You can find delightful quiet areas everywhere on all the Islands you just have to look!

I have never been to Fuetaventura so cant comment. Have been to the rest and they are all really different. I love the canaries great people, food and climate.

magimedi Mon 04-Jan-16 17:09:10

Fuerteventura is the windiest!

iwantgin Mon 04-Jan-16 17:17:30

Tenerife is possibly my favourite - I have been quite a few times smile

The two most recent times we (just me and DH) went to Puerto de la Cruz - on the north of the island. The weather is sometimes not as hot andsunny as on the south - but IMO the scenery is so much better and the place is just less touristy.

About 3 years ago we rented a house in the hills just a 20 min walk from town - I booked it through tenerife country villas. The house we had is no longer on the site- which is a shame as it was perfect for us.

This March we stayed in a hotel on the seafront - v nice view of the ocean. It wasn't a very busy hotel - but had good facilities. I didn't feel crowded or over-peopled at breakfast ;).

The weather the first trip was glorious - v hot and sunny every day. This time - not so much. But I think this year has been notorious for dodgy weather in many places.

So my recommendation is Tenerife. Rent a car. Rent a villa and have a look around the North.

civilfawlty Mon 04-Jan-16 17:24:04

Thank you for such considered responses - appreciated!

P1nkP0ppy Mon 04-Jan-16 17:26:07

I love Lanzarote, especially Playa Blanca in the SW, which is less touristy.
Fuerteventura is very windy, be prepared for a sand blasting if you go to the beach! It's also far less populated and the azure sea and white sand is stunningly beautiful north of Jandia (Jandia seemed very German oriented)

SilentBob Mon 04-Jan-16 17:27:30

I second Puerto de la cruz. My childhood was spent in and around that area as my grandma lived in a wee village (Sta Ursula) nearby and it was glorious.

Plenty to do and see and not over-run with tourists. The weather was perfect (for me, a redhead) and the black sand was walkable on on the beaches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now