Talk

Advanced search

Travel advice for carrying baby powdered formula milk in check in luggage

(10 Posts)
LubnaRasheedi Fri 25-Dec-15 21:02:13

Hello Friends
I am travelling to india from Manchester UK With my 4 months old baby on family visit for 2 months ( january ,February 2016). Am I allowed to carry 15 jars of powdered formula milk (1 jar = 900gms)for my baby in check in luggage (not cabin luggage)?? My baby stomach is sensitive hence want to carry 2 months supply for him. Please share your experience or thoughts if there is no issue carrying baby powdered milk in check in luggage (not cabin luggage)

I am really nervous and concerned.

Thanks
Lubna

dementedpixie Fri 25-Dec-15 22:16:22

The only limits you have are on liquids carried in the cabin with you. You can take as much powdered stuff with you in your hold (checked in) luggage as you want.

Artandco Fri 25-Dec-15 22:17:43

You can take as much as you like powdered in many luggage.

LubnaRasheedi Sat 26-Dec-15 02:10:06

I am not sure if destination country custom import goods authority raise any concern around bringing so much powdered milk for the baby. To which countries you travelled From and To ??

dementedpixie Sat 26-Dec-15 09:28:53

Surely that's only if you are importing it to sell whereas you are taking it for personal use.

specialsubject Sat 26-Dec-15 12:09:48

It's fine for the airline. But here's what google tells me that Indian customs say, looks like you need to get a licence for milk and milk products. Perhaps give the embassy a call?

www.iatatravelcentre.com/IN-India-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

obviously make sure he's had all his injections and that you have travel insurance including him.

LubnaRasheedi Sun 27-Dec-15 19:40:33

There is import regulation on milk and milk product ( considered as dairy product) but formula milk should not fall in that category. However to be 100% sure I will try to ring London based Indian embassy office as I could not find any email id where i can contact them

JE1234 Sun 27-Dec-15 19:45:49

If it is a dairy based formula it will be classed as a milk product. If it isn't dairy based you need to ensure each packet has the ingredients listed. A call to the embassy would be wise to check.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 27-Dec-15 19:50:54

When you say your babies stomach is sensitive does your ds have a medical condition or is it a case of pfb? If it's the later just buy milk there.

specialsubject Sun 27-Dec-15 19:51:11

here's the email address from their website - they have split it up to avoid spamming.

info[dot]london[at]hcilondon[dot]in

read the page below which tells you what format they want the enquiry in. And I think you should phone to chase it up after the new year.

www.hcilondon.in/pages.php?id=13

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now